Jingxi Xinfa Aluminum power station
|This article is part of the CoalSwarm coverage of China and coal|
Jingxi Xinfa Aluminum power station (广西信发铝电自备电厂) is a 465-megawatt (MW) coal-fired captive plant for the Shandong Xinfa Aluminum smelter in Guangxi Zhuang Autonomous Region, China.
It is being expanded by 720 MW.
The undated satellite photo below shows the power station in Quyang Town.
Background on Plant
In 2008 Shandong Xinfa Aluminum and Electricity Group was listed as China's fourth-largest aluminum maker. The original coal plant is 3 x 155 MW, supporting aluminum production capacity of 560,000 metric tons.
The violent conflict with local residents
In July 11, 2010, plant owner Guangxi Xinfa Aluminum Co organized 300 people armed with water pipes and wooden sticks to attack residents in a nearby village, Lingwantun, because they believed the villagers tried to stop the company from building a new road through their village. In early July 2011, a flood submerged Lingwantun village. More than one thousand villagers were living in tents at the time. The villagers argued the company's bauxite mining blocked the underground water path, causing their homes to be flooded. They were afraid the company's road construction would worsen the flood.
The local villagers have long said the aluminum smelter is polluting their drinking water. The attack by the company ignited the anger that had accumulated since the company was founded. The villagers fought back with home-made metal bombs, petrol bombs and stones. Several thousand villagers from surrounding villages came to help and gathered at the company's campuses, damaging some facilities. The local government dispatched Armed Police to protect the company. Several villagers were arrested. 
Violation of Environmental Regulations
In March 2015, MEPC Southern Supervision Center and Autonomous Region Environmental Protection Bureau stopped the coal plant for a month, and fined the company ¥120,000 (US$17,600), due to starting operation before installing environmental protection facilities, improperly treating wastewater emissions, and for exceeding the legal limit of nitrogen oxide emissions.
Project Details for Expansion
- Sponsor: Guangxi Xinfa Aluminum
- Parent company: Shandong Xinfa Group
- Location: Quyang Town, Jingxi County, Baise Prefecture, Guangxi Zhuang Autonomous Region, China
- Coordinates: 23.267699, 106.385389 (exact)
- Status: Operating (Unit 4), Shelved (Unit 5)
- Gross capacity: 720 MW (Units 4-5: 360 MW)
- Type: Supercritical
- Projected in service: 2014 (Unit 4)
- Coal type:
- Coal source:
- Source of financing:
Articles and resources
- Li Xiaowei, "Shandong Xinfa Aluminum May Have to Cut Production," Bloomberg, Aug. 8, 2008
- "生态铝重点项目概况"Baise Industry and Informatization Committee, 2015-12-01
- "中国电建承建广西靖西项目5号机组投产发电," 2014年08月19日
- "广西铝业借力灵敏用电模式“突围”," 经济参考报, 2015年03月30日
- "信发广西铝矿风波"《 财经》国家周刊, 2010-11-08
- "广西千村民冲污染厂 堵路抗议多人被拘（组图）"RFA, 2010-07-14
- "广西信发铝电被限产 环保设施未建先产"中国环境报，2015-8-6