"Eco-philosopher Joanna Macy, Ph.D., is a scholar of Buddhism, general systems theory, and deep ecology. A respected voice in movements for peace, justice, and ecology, she interweaves her scholarship with four decades of activism. She has created a ground-breaking theoretical framework for personal and social change, as well as a powerful workshop methodology for its application.
"Her wide-ranging work addresses psychological and spiritual issues of the nuclear age, the cultivation of ecological awareness, and the fruitful resonance between Buddhist thought and contemporary science. The many dimensions of this work are explored in her books Despair and Personal Power in the Nuclear Age (New Society Publishers, 1983); Dharma and Development (Kumarian Press, 1985); Thinking Like a Mountain (with John Seed, Pat Fleming, and Arne Naess; New Society Publishers, 1988); Mutual Causality in Buddhism and General Systems Theory (SUNY Press, 1991); World as Lover, World as Self (Parallax Press, 1991); Rilke's Book of Hours (1996, 2005) and In Praise of Mortality (2004) (with Anita Barrows, Riverhead); and Coming Back to Life: Practices to Reconnect Our Lives, Our World (with Molly Young Brown, New Society Publishers, 1998). Joanna has also written a memoir entitled Widening Circles (New Society, 2000)."  Her husband was Francis Macy.
- Council of Sages, California Institute of Integral Studies 
- Advisory Board, Center for a New American Dream 
- Advisory Council, Green Sangha Organization 
- US Advisory Board, Sacred Earth Network
- Advisory Council, Alliance for the Earth 
- International Advisory Board, Karuna Center 
- International Advisory Board, Women's Earth Alliance 
- Advisor, Sarvodaya USA 
- Patron, Wyse International 
- Honorary Advisor, International Network of Engaged Buddhists 
- Community Teacher, East Bay Meditation Center 
- Contributor, to the book Consciousness in Action 
Resources and articles
Related Sourcewatch articles
- Maria Amália Souza
- Ocean Robbins
- David Johnson (US)
- Chris Johnstone
- Sustainability Leaders Network
- Bill Pfeiffer, Cathy Pedevillano
- Lost Borders Press
- Biography, Joanna Macy, accessed December 28, 2007.
- Trustees, California Institute of Integral Studies, accessed October 30, 2011.
- Advisory Board, Center for a New American Dream, accessed December 28, 2007.
- Green Sangha Organization About, organizational web page, accessed April 12, 2012.
- Alliance for the Earth About, organizational web page, accessed April 25, 2012.
- International Advisory Board, Karuna Center for Peacebuilding, accessed April 30, 2008.
- International Advisory Board, Women's Earth Alliance, accessed February 16, 2010.
- Directors, Sarvodaya USA, accessed January 2, 2009.
- Patrons, Wyse International, accessed October 19, 2011.
- International Network of Engaged Buddhists Committee, organizational web page, accessed April 20, 2012.
- East Bay Meditation Center Leadership, organizational web page, accessed June 18, 2013.
- Contributors, Consciousness in Action, accessed October 18, 2009.