John C Fox
This stub is a work-in-progress by the ScienceCorruption.com journalists's group. We are indexing the millions of documents stored at the San Francisco Uni's Legacy Tobacco Archive  With some entries you'll need to go to this site and type into the Search panel a (multi-digit) Bates number. You can search on names for other documents also. Send any corrections or additions to email@example.com
John Fox was a lawyer-lobbyist for the Tobacco Institute via the law firm Pettit & Martin. Later he transferred to another law-firm Pillsbury Madison & Sutro. Fox became a key member of the travelling circus of so-called 'independent experts put together by the Tobacco Institute's State Activities Division (SAD) to promote the idea that passive smoking was exaggerated as a problem, and that the rights of the smoker had equal weight to those of the non-smoker in an office environment or enclosed space.
The circus would travel to regional centers to lobby local councils, airport operators, business management groups, and the local media. When Fox wasn't available for a specific project, his associates at Pillsbury Madison, Bernadette Davidson and Dennis Duffy filled the gap.
Documents & Timeline
- recruiting indoor air quality (ETS/ventilation) scientists.
- They have identified six additional ETS scientist who are now reviewing the scientific literature.
- testing the effectiveness of ACVA/HBI's advertising campaign and direct mail program. They are investigating the feasibility of broadcast ads.
- Litigation Program
- Lawyer John Fox is conducting legal seminars on workplace smoking - supposedly co-sponsored by Pillsbury Madison & Sutro with the Institute of Applied Management and Law
- Fox's associate Dennis Duffy will also conduct legal seminars
- Mario Obledo the ex-Executive Director of League of United Latin American Citizens (LULAC) will also conduct seminars
- Baltazar Bacca executive director of the Hispanic National Bar Association will also conduct seminars.
- Bestype Office Environments are promoting a workplace smoking program among architects
- Washington Legal Foundation will release their smoking policy research to the media to counter the BNA (?) claims.
- PROJECT: Promote ACVA via advertising and direct mail in conjunction with Gray Robertson media tours for remainder of 1988.
- PROJECT: Continue promotion of NEMl's indoor air quality services through September, 1988. (IAQ Newsletter, NEHI Brochure & Promotional Video or Slide Show)
- (Jeff Ross) NEMI newsletter/copy clearance.(10/13) NEMI newsletter/approval of layout (11/02) NEMI newsletter/camera ready art (11/04) [NEMI was scheduled to see and clear it only on 25 Sept. The whole operation (including a video/slide show) was controlled by the TI with the help of Ogilvy & Mather]
- PROJECT: Promote Bestype corporate smoking assistance program. "Obtain Bestype approval of business relationship." (08/19)
- (Sharon Ransome) Bestype seminars & ads - finalize materials. (10/05) Redirect workplace program to smokers/schedule media tours in selected markets.(10/17) Bestype general direct mail/commence promotion & distribution. (11/01) …etc.
- PROJECT: John Fox Seminars on Workplace Smoking Legal Issues: "These dates are proposed. Logistical considerations may dictate minor adjustments in the calendar."Raleigh/Durham, Portland Oregon, Cleveland, Seattle
- (John Lyons) John Fox seminars/report results on second seminar. (10/10) John Fox seminars/conduct third seminar (11/09) John Fox seminars/conduct fourth seminar (12/06) …etc.
- PROJECT: They are also identifying and training news IAQ and ETS spokespersons with the help of the lawyers Covington & Burling and the Sorell Schwartz IAPAG group from Georgetown University
- PROJECT: Launch N.I.C.E. program in mid-September, 1988. National Institute for Conflict Education (they were creating this from July 88 with help of Shook Hardy & Bacon and O&M)
- PROJECT: Promote Tollison & Wagner book "Smoking and the State" with "media training of authors" (6/13) and publication off book review (8/15)