John M. Schubert Director of BHP Limited since June 2000 and a Director of BHP Billiton Limited and BHP Billiton Plc since June 2001. Dr Schubert was re-elected in 2006.
"John Schubert has considerable experience in the international oil industry including at CEO level. He has had executive mining and financial responsibilities and was CEO of Pioneer International Limited for six years where he operated in the building materials industry in 16 countries. He has experience in mergers, acquisitions and divestments, project analysis and management. He was previously Chairman and Managing Director of Esso Australia Limited and President of the Business Council of Australia.
- Chairman of Commonwealth Bank of Australia (since November 2004) and Director (since October 1991)
- Chair, Great Barrier Reef Research Foundation 
- Director of Qantas Airways Limited (since October 2000)
- Chairman of G2 Therapies Limited (since November 2000)
- Former Director of Hanson Plc (from May 2000 until May 2003)
- Former Chairman and Director of Worley Parsons Limited (from November 2002 until February 2005) 
Great Barrier Reef Fondation (GBRF)
In April 2018 the Ausralian Liberal Coalition government under Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull, and the Minister for the Environment Josh Frydenberg, gave a federal grant of A$444 million to the Great Barrier Reef Foundation without any apparent consultation with the Department of Environment.
The GBRF had a staff of six at the time; there was no tender process or prior discussion in the media about any specific need for this grant to be made to this particular organisation. 
The announcement said only that projects would include "research to develop new species of coral which are more resilient" (to climate change variations).
The foundation had been set up by corporate interests dominated by multinational fossil fuel companies, and it promoted only vague ambitions ... such as to "improved management of the Great Barrier Reef" and the "management of key threats to the Great Barrier Reef".
Dr John Schubert was the chairman, and Anna Marsden was the MD. An auditor-general report and a Senate Inquiry into this extraordinary grant called for the money to be returned.
Resources and articles
Related Sourcewatch articles
- Directors, Great Barrier Reef Research Foundation, accessed March 10, 2009.
- Directors, BHP Billiton, accessed March 7, 2008.