John Timony, who was born in Dublin, is Miami Police Chief. Timony becaome the focus of protests by a range of community and civil liberties groups after violent attacks on those protesting against the meeting of the Free Trade Agreement of the Americas in Miami in November 2003.
Prior to his appointment to Miami, Timony had worked as the top policeman in Phildelphia, then as the number two man in the New York Police Department.
Fox News: Chief, the big question - could convention protesters actually leave us vulnerable to terrorism?
John Timoney: Oh, absolutely. 
Many unions and activist groups are demanding the removal of Timony as Miami's chief of police.
- "New Police chief", Western People (Ireland), January 29, 2003.
- Bob Geary, "Miami: Don't just let it go by", Independent Weekly, November 26, 2003.
- "Congressional Information Packet". This has an archive of article, video and photos relating to the Miami police attacks on protesters against the FTAA.
- John Timony, "Interview on security for the 2004 Republican National Convention", Fox News, July 21, 2004.
- David Rovics, "Butcher for Hire, song about John Timony"