Dr. Joseph McMillan is "a distinguished research fellow at the Institute for National Strategic Studies. He is currently on loan to INSS from the Office of the Under Secretary of Defense for Policy, where he has had extensive experience managing U.S. security policy toward the Near East and South Asia, including three years as principal director of the Near Eastern regional office from 1998-2001.
"He was previously country director for a variety of countries in the Arab world as well as the former Soviet Union, and served as principal director of the office of Russian, Ukrainian, and Eurasian affairs in 1997-98. He holds a B.A. in political science from the University of Alabama, did his graduate work at Vanderbilt University, and is a 1992 distinguished graduate of the National War College. A career civil servant with over 24 years of service in the Department of Defense, he is a two-time recipient of the Secretary of Defense Medal for Meritorious Civilian Service.
"Mr. McMillan is the author of a number of articles on defense strategy and regional affairs, including 'Saudi Arabia: Culture, Legitimacy and Political Reform,' Global Affairs (Winter 1991-92); 'Talking to the Enemy: Negotiations in Wartime,' Comparative Strategy (Oct-Dec 1992); 'U.S.-Saudi Relations: Rebuilding the Strategic Consensus,' Strategic Forum, No. 186 (Nov 2001); and chapters in the book 'The United States and the Persian Gulf: Reshaping Security Strategy for the Post-Containment Era' (February 2003)." 2004.
- "E.O. Joseph McMillan, acting deputy assistant secretary of defense for Near East and South Asian affairs." 1998
- "Joseph McMillan, Deputy Director for Technical Services at the Defense Criminal Investigative Service." September 1998
- "Joseph McMillan, Special Agent in charge, Mid-Atlantic Field Office of the Defense Criminal Investigative Service." December 2000/March 2003
- Joseph McMillan, "a scholar at the Institute for National Strategic Studies, the Department of Defense's in-house think tank and part of the National Defense University at Fort McNair." December 2001
- "Joseph McMillan, a Defense Department official who for years was the Saudi desk officer in the Pentagon's Bureau of International Security Affairs."