KFJX-14, FOX (TV Station)
|Fake TV News: A CMD Special Report|
|This article is part of the Center for Media and Democracy's special report, Fake TV News: Widespread and Undisclosed.|
Click here to read the report summary.
KFJX-14 is a Joplin, Missouri / Pittsburgh, Kansas television station and an affiliate of the FOX television network.
Use of Video News Releases and/or Satellite Media Tours
In the 9pm news bulletin on January 16, 2006 the station broadcast an uncut video news release (VNR) produced by Medialink Worldwide for Siemens AG on 'advances' in ethanol. The Medialink publicist appeared on-screen. 
Response to Report
In response to a Center for Media and Democracy survey about station disclosure policies, KFJX faxed the following information on April 5, 2006:
- During its news programs, does your station air video news releases (VNRs, including B-roll) or satellite media tours (SMTs) that were produced for companies, governments agencies or other entities? Yes-both VNRs and SMTs
- If your station does air VNRs and/or SMTs, do you disclose the source of the material to news audiences? Yes-always
- If your station does disclose the VNRs and/or SMTs it airs, how does it do so? Varies
2950 NE Highway 69
P.O. Box 659
Pittsburg, KS 66762-0659
- Audio news releases
- Brand Hype
- Branded Entertainment
- Media releases
- Satellite Media Tours
- Radio Media Tours
- Public Service Announcements
- Video news releases: PR for California's Schwarzenegger administration
- Diane Farsetta and Daniel Price, "Fake TV News: Widespread and Undisclosed: A multimedia report on television newsrooms' use of material provided by PR firms on behalf of paying clients", Center for Media and Democracy, April 6, 2006.