Lord David Puttnam "spent 30 years as an independent film producer. His many award winning films include The Mission, The Killing Fields, Local Hero, Chariots of Fire, Midnight Express, Bugsy Malone, and The Memphis Belle. He now focuses on his work in education and the environment and serves as chair on a variety of public bodies.
"David was UNICEF UK President for seven years, completing his term in July 2009, you can read the news story David Puttnam elected as UNICEF UK's new President (2002). He has played a key role in promoting UNICEF’s advocacy, awareness and fundraising objectives. He was appointed a UNICEF UK Ambassador in June 2009." 
"David Puttnam spent thirty years as an independent film producer. His many award winning films include The Mission, the Killing Fields, Local Hero, Chariots of Fire, Midnight Express, Bugsy Malone, and the Memphis Belle. He retired from film production in 1998 and now focuses on his work in education and the environment. He is Chancellor of the Open University. In 1998 he founded that National Teaching Awards which he chaired until October 2008. He served as the first Chair of the General Teaching Council (2000-2002), and on a variety of other public bodies. He was founding Chair of the National Endowment for Science, Technology and the Arts, and for ten years chaired the National Museum of Photography, Film and Television, as well as serving as a Trustee of both the Tate Gallery and the Science Museum.
"He was also Vice President and Chair of Trustees at BAFTA (British Academy of Film & Television Arts) from 1994 to 2004, and was awarded a BAFTA Fellowship in 2006. He was appointed President of UNICEF UK in July 2002, and has played a key role in promoting UNICEF’s advocacy, awareness and fundraising objectives. In February 2006, became Deputy Chairman of Channel Four, and in April 2006 Chairman of Futurelab. He is also on the board of directors of learning technology company Promethean. In April 2007 he became the Chairman of Profero. In the same month he was also appointed Chairman of the Joint Parliamentary Climate Change Bill Scrutiny Committee. Also in 2007 he was appointed as Chairman of North Music Trust, The Sage Gateshead. Most recently he was made President of the Film Distributors' Association (FDA)." 
His wife is Lady Puttnam.
- Chair, Cultural Learning Alliance 
- Chancellor, Open University 
- Former Trustee, The Eden Project 
- Trustee, Baker Dearing Educational Trust 
- Trustee, Institute for Public Policy Research
- Council, National Literacy Trust
- Patron, Child In Need India UK 
- Patron, Helena Kennedy Foundation 
- Patron, Transformation Trust
- Patron, Creative Skillset 
- Patron, Curriculum Foundation 
- Patron, UK Jewish Film Festival 
- Director, Channel 4 
- Former Consultant, GEMS Education 
- Advisory Council, Citizenship Foundation 
- Advisory board, Jurassica 
- Ambassador, Angelus Foundation 
Resources and articles
- David Puttnam, UNICEF, accessed February 23, 2010.
- Transformation Trust Patrons, organizational web page, accessed August 30, 2012.
- Cultural Learning Alliance Who, organizational web page, accessed October 9, 2012.
- Open University Governance, organizational web page, accessed April 13, 2012.
- The Eden Project Who's who, organizational web page, accessed March 25, 2012.
- University Technical Colleges Team, organizational web page, accessed June 11, 2013.
- Child In Need India UK People, organizational web page, accessed March 23, 2013.
- Helena Kennedy Foundation People, organizational web page, accessed May 24, 2013.
- Creative Skillset Patrons, organizational web page, accessed October 20, 2012.
- About, Curriculum Foundation, accessed March 4, 2015.
- People, UK Jewish Film Festival, accessed June 1, 2010.
- 2009 Annual Report, Channel 4, accessed June 29, 2010.
- Citizenship Foundation Advisory Council, organizational web page, accessed May 12, 2013.
- About, Jurassica, accessed January 30, 2015.
- Ambassadors, Angelus Foundation, accessed September 13, 2015.