Martial law is "the system of rules that takes effect (usually after a formal declaration) when a military authority takes control of the normal administration of justice." 
Related SourceWatch Resources
- civil war in Iraq
- Establishing martial law in the United States
- forced quarantine
- Hurricane Katrina: Martial Law
- Patriot Act I
- state of national emergency
- use of force
- War Powers Act
- "Martial Law and National Emergency," prepared by Harold C. Relyea, Specialist in American National Government, Government and Finance Division, Congressional Research Service, January 7, 2005. Posted by Federation of American Scientists.
Articles & Commentary
- "Iraq 'won't hesitate' to impose martial law. Minister comments after latest attack; coalition examines implications," CNN, June 18, 2004.
- Liza Ponteus, "Iraq Ponders Martial Law," Fox News, June 29, 2004.
- Rajiv Chandrasekaran, "Iraq Approves Security Law Allowing Martial Rule. Insurgents, Iraqi and U.S. Forces Engage in a Rare Daytime Battle," Washington Post, July 7, 2004.
- Annia Ciezadlo, "Iraq's PM poised for martial law," Christian Science Monitor, July 7, 2004.
- Dave Lindorff, "How Bush-style Democracy Came to Iraq. Liberation as Martial Law," CounterPunch, July 8, 2004.
- Robert Fisk, "Sovereignty, Martial Law, and Continuing Violence in the New Iraq," Democracy Now!, July 16, 2004.
- Donald Macintyre, "Iraq Set to Use Martial Law in Terror Fight," Independent (UK) (Common Dreams), August 6, 2004.
- "Iraqi Interim Government Declares Martial Law," Reuters (Common Dreams), November 7, 2004.
- Karl Vick, "Fighting Around Fallujah Intensifies. Premier Puts Most of Iraq Under State of Emergency," Washington Post, November 8, 2004.
- Patrick Martin, "Iran-Contra redux: Bush White House ran 'off-the-books' covert operation for Iraq elections," WSWS, July 26, 2005.
- Sarah Foster, "Florida under martial law? Rumors persist despite official denial from Jeb Bush administration,", WorldNetDaily, October 25, 2001.
- Ritt Goldstein, "Foundations are in place for martial law in the US," Sydney Morning Herald (Australia), July 27, 2002.
- Michel Chossudovsky, "Is America Preparing for Martial Law?" Centre for Research on Globalisation, April 10, 2005.
- Patrick Martin, "Pentagon devising scenarios for martial law in US," WSWS, August 9, 2005.
- Michel Chossudovsky, "Martial Law and the Avian Flu Pandemic," Centre for Research on Globalisation, October 4, 2005.
- Mike Whitney, "Martial Law and the advent of the Supreme Executive," Information Clearing House, October 6, 2005.
- Michael Nolan, "Martial Law," LewRockwell.com, November 12, 2005.