Media Access Project
The Media Access Project (MAP) states on its website that it is "a non-profit, public interest law firm and advocacy organization dedicated to promoting the public’s First Amendment right to access a diverse marketplace of ideas in the mass media system."
"MAP's work is in the courts, the FCC, and in active outreach as a coalition builder among other public interest organizations. MAP is the only Washington-based organization devoted to representing listeners' and speakers' interests in electronic media and telecommunications issues before the Federal Communications Commission, other policy-making bodies, and in the courts. MAP's staff attorneys provide guidance and representation to scores of national and local non-profit groups annually. They appear frequently at academic, legislative, and professional meetings to ensure that the needs of the public are not forgotten as policies are established for the next generation."
"MAP grew out of the movement that began with the landmark United Church of Christ litigation of the 1960s. Those cases, involving the failure of a Mississippi TV station to serve the Black community, established that members of the viewing and listening public have the legal right, derived from the First Amendment, to participate in FCC proceedings." 
Founded by Tom Asher.
On its website, the organization's staff are listed as:
- Tyrone Brown, President
- Andrew Jay Schwartzman, Senior Vice President and Policy Director
- Parul P. Desai, Vice President
- Matt Wood, Associate Director
- Kamilla Kovacs, Development and Communications Director
Board of Directors]
On its website, the organization's Board of Directors are listed as:
- Albert Kramer, Partner, Dickstein, Shapiro, LLP
- Jorge Schement, Dean, School of Communication Information & Library Studies, Rutgers University
- Roanne Robinson Shaddox, Privacy Council; Former Chief of Staff of the National Telecommunications and Information Association
- Andrew Jay Schwartzman, President and CEO, Media Access Project
- Mozelle W. Thompson, Thompson Strategic Consulting; Former Commissioner, Federal Trade Commission
- Kathryn C. Wallman, Wallman Consulting, LLC; Former Chief of the FCC Common Carrier Bureau
- Leo Hindery, Jr., Managing Partner, InterMedia Partners
- Henry Geller, Former Director, National Telecommunications and Information Association
1625 K Street, NW
Washington, DC 20006
Phone: (202) 232-4300
Fax: (202) 466-7656
Email: info AT mediaaccess.org
Articles and resources
Related SourceWatch articles
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 Media Access Project, "About MAP", Media Access Project website, accessed June 2009.
- ↑ "Staff", Media Access Project website, accessed July 2010.
- ↑ Media Access Project, "Board of Directors", Media Access Project website, accessed June 2009.