Medical Emergency Relief International
Merlin "is the only specialist UK charity which responds worldwide with vital health care and medical relief for vulnerable people caught up in natural disasters, conflict, disease and health system collapse." 
"In early 1993, three young friends - a doctor, a manager and a logistician - decided to create a specialist British charity to send medical teams into disaster zones. Dr Christopher Besse, Nicholas Mellor and Mark Dalton wanted to harness the energy and goodwill of doctors, nurses and other professionals, and enable them to work overseas to care for the sick, prevent disease and help develop local health services.
"From an office set up in the spare bedroom of a London house, Merlin organised its first mission: a convoy bound for war-torn Bosnia carrying £1million worth of essential food and medicines. Since then, Merlin has grown dramatically - evolving into a specialist charity with a unique mandate to respond to natural disasters and humanitarian emergencies, then stay on to rebuild the capacity of local health services until they’re ready to operate effectively and independently." 
"The majority is from institutional donors. For Merlin, these include the UK's Department for International Development, the United States Agency for International Development and the European Commission." 
Accessed August 2008: 
- Lord Jay of Ewelme, Chair
- Carolyn Miller, Chief Executive
- Imogen Ward, Director of Marketing and Communications
- Linda Doull, Director of Health and Policy
- Bryony Glenn, Director of Human Resources and Development
- Pete Sweetnam, Director of Programmes
- Vicky Annis, Director of Finance
Accessed August 2008: 
- George Cox (Chair)
- Charles Stewart-Smith
- John Sanderson
- Nicholas Banatavalava (Resigned 7 March 2006)
- William Adams
- Samuel Berwick
- Miles Ruffell
- Elizabeth Tayler
- Christopher Whitty
- Susan Woodman
- James Darcy
- Julian Thorne
- Richard Fenning (Appointed 16 May 2006)
- Susan Ryan (Appointed 16 May 2006)
- Steve Mirfin (Appointed 3 October 2006)
Resources and articles
Related Sourcewatch articles
- Mission, Medical Emergency Relief International, accessed August 4, 2008.
- Our story, Medical Emergency Relief International, accessed August 4, 2008.
- Our finances, Medical Emergency Relief International, accessed August 4, 2008.
- Whos who, Medical Emergency Relief International, accessed August 4, 2008.
- 2006 Annual Report, Medical Emergency Relief International, accessed August 4, 2008.