Michael Smerconish is the conservative talk radio host of Philadelphia's 1210 AM "The Big Talker" morning show. Since 2001, he has been a columnist for the Philadelphia Daily News. In 2007, Smerconish's show was simulcast Monday through Wednesday on MSNBC, between the time that Don Imus' Imus in the Morning was canceled and a new permanent morning host, Joe Scarborough, was selected.
According to Media Matters for America, Smerconish "has been a guest host for MSNBC's Scarborough Country and Westwood One's The Radio Factor with Bill O'Reilly, and has opined on a number of issues, including alleged detainee abuse, immigrants, and Muslims", to include (as stated):
- "Smerconish trivialized reports of detainee abuse at Abu Ghraib prison in Iraq, referring to the alleged abuse as 'naked pyramid pictures.' He also referred to alleged mistreatment at the Pentagon detention facility at Guantánamo Bay as 'play[ing] Christina Aguilera music a bit too loud.'"
- "Smerconish suggested that 'maybe law enforcement ought to step in' at pro-immigration demonstrations and consider 'gathering ... up' illegal immigrants."
- "Smerconish repeatedly discussed 'the sissification of America,' claiming that political correctness has made the United States 'a nation of sissies.' Smerconish also claimed, several times, that this 'sissification' and 'limp-wristedness' is 'compromising our ability to win the war on terror.'"
- "Smerconish took issue with a decision by the New Jersey Sports and Exposition Authority to provide a designated prayer area at Giants Stadium. The decision was in response to a September 19 incident involving the FBI's detention and questioning of five Muslim men who were observed praying near the stadium's main air duct during a New York Giants football game."
- Michael Smerconish, "The Big Talker", WPHT Philadelphia.
- Bio: Michael Smerconish, The Huffington Post.
- Michael Smerconish, America's Voices in Israel/Jerusalem Post Online.
- Profile: Michael Smerconish, IMDb.com.
- Political Donations by Michael Smerconish, NewsMeat.
- Michael Smerconish in the Wikipedia.
- "Real Time With Bill Maher - Owns Evangelical," YouTube, posted April 3, 2007.
By Michael Smerconish
- Columns by Michael Smerconish, Philadelphia Daily News.
- Articles by Michael Smerconish, RealClearPolitics.
- "Interview by Michael Smerconish of WPHT-AM Philadelphia. Deputy Secretary Richard Armitage," Pentagon Radio Day, Washington, DC, U.S. Department of Defense, March 16, 2004.
- News Transcript: "Secretary Rumsfeld Interview with Michael Smerconish, WPHT-AM Philadelphia, 'The Michael Smerconish Show'," U.S. Department of Defense, June 21, 2005.
- "Anna Nicole's Toxic Motherhood," The Huffington Post, February 15, 2007.
- "First They Came for Imus," The Huffington Post, April 15, 2007.
- "Guilty as charged: I don't support Imus' firing," KRT/The Philadelphia Inquirer, April 17, 2007.
About Michael Smerconish
- Josh Phillips, "TV Review: The Colbert Report - Michael Smerconish," Blogcritics, April 5, 2006.
- "CNN reportedly considering talk show for Michael 'Nation of Sissies' Smerconish," Media Matters for America, January 16, 2007.
- "Smerconish defends himself: 'I say stupid things every day'," Media Matters for America, January 17, 2007.
- "Smerconish on Imus: 'I don’t interpret it as a racist statement per se…'," Crooks and Liars, April 10, 2007.
- Mike Celizic, "Racial remarks: Double standard? Blacks and whites disagree on why Imus’s ‘ho’ comment was so offensive," MSNBC, April 11, 2007.
- David Fiderer, "Sexual Perversity in Philadelphia: How Michael Smerconish Frames the War on Terror," The Huffington Post, April 16, 2007.
- "Media figures continue to describe Imus firing as 'lynching'," Media Matters for America, April 16, 2007.
- Matthew Sheffield, "Being Moderate Won't Save You From the Left's Anger," NewsBusters, April 17, 2007.
- Michael Learmonth, "MSNBC tries out Smerconish. Network looking for Imus replacement," Variety, April 20, 2007.
- Dan Gross, "Smerconish show gets tryout next week on MSNBC," Philadelphia Inquirer, April 20, 2007.
- "Radio host Michael Smerconish to be simulcast on MSNBC in place of Imus," Media Matters for America, April 20, 2007.
- "Controversial Imus to be Replaced With Uncontroversial Republican Skinhead," Wonkette!, April 20, 2007.