Dr. Michael Vlahos is "currently a senior member of the Joint Warfare Analysis Department at Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory, Maryland. In addition to developing an ongoing collaboration between the laboratory and the U.S. Joint Forces Command, Vlahos' research into the War on Terror led to the 2001 Terror's Mask: Insurgency Within Islam, now a text in the Naval War College Strategy Department and the University of Chicago Islamic Studies Department.
"Before that time, Vlahos served as the director of the Securities Studies Program at the Johns Hopkins School of Advanced International Studies. He has authored several books published by Johns Hopkins/SAIS and the U.S. State Department, and his commentary has appeared in National Review, Washington Quarterly, Foreign Policy, Foreign Affairs, and the Times Literary Supplement. Vlahos has also appeared regularly on Crossfire, Good Morning America, CNN and Larry King Live.
"Vlahos is a graduate of Yale University, and received both his masters and Ph.D from the Fletcher School of Law & Diplomacy, Tufts University." --TechCentralStation, accessed December 3, 2005.
- "Strategic Defense and the American Ethos: Can the Nuclear World Be Changed", Westview Press with the Foreign Policy Institute, School of Advanced International Studies, the Johns Hopkins University (1986), ISBN 0813304660.
- "Wishful thinking : a world view of insurance solvency regulation : a report", U.S. Government Printing Office (1994), ISBN 0160459826.
- "Terror’s Mask: Insurgency Within Islam" (34-page pdf), Johns Hopkins University (2002).
- "Culture’s Mask: War and Change After Iraq" (62-page pdf), Johns Hopkins (2004); Annotated Contents.
By Michael Vlahos
- "The End of America's Postwar Ethos" in Foreign Affairs, Summer 1988.
- "An Empire Five Times Over," Globalist, January 1, 2000.
- "Street Fightin' Man!" Tech Central Station, April 4, 2003.
- "Defeating the Gods of War," Tech Central Station, May 1, 2003.
- "Military Identity in the Age of Empire," Tech Central Station, June 19, 2003.
- "'Enemy Mine'," Tech Central Station, July 29, 2003.
- "The Muslims are Coming! The Muslims are Coming!" Tech Central Station, August 26, 2003.
- "The Six Dilemmas of the Moderate Islamist," Tech Central Station, October 16, 2003.
- "The Story of This War," Tech Central Station, November 6, 2003.
- "Enemies of the Good," Tech Central Station, December 11, 2003.
- "Breaking the Resistance," Tech Central Station, December 19, 2003.
- "The Soldiering Ethos," Tech Central Station, February 19, 2004; also posted in two parts at military.com, March 1, 2004.
- "The Muslim Renovatio and U.S. Strategy," Tech Central Station, April 24, 2004.
- "Outside View: The war of ideas," UPI (Washington Times): Part I, July 19, 2004; Part 2, July 20, 2004; Part 3, July 21, 2004; and Part 4, July 22, 2004.
- "Outside view: America`s Roman army," Monsters and Critics.com, August 31, 2005.
The Lincoln Group website lists Michael Vlahos on its list of "Advisors". As of December 6, 2005, the entry reads "Michael Vlahos, PhD, National Security Analysis Department." To access the listed entry, go to the Lincoln Group website, then click on "About Us", then, on left-hand panel, click on "Advisors".