Mmamabula West power station
graphic position=top | background=FFF | border=BA2725 | image=/images/a/aa/Coalswarm_badge.gif | width=216 | height=60 | title=Portal:Coal Issues | link=http://coalswarm.org |text=This article is part of the Coal Issues portal on SourceWatch, a project of Global Energy Monitor and the Center for Media and Democracy. See here for help on adding material to CoalSwarm.}}
The Mmamabula West power station is a proposed 600-megawatt (MW) coal-fired power station in Mmaphashalala, Botswana.
The map below shows the location of the Mmamabula coal field in Mmaphashalala, Botswana, but not the exact location of the Mmamabula West Energy Project.
In 2013 African Energy Resources acquired the 2.4 billion tonne Mmamabula West coal export project in south‐east Botswana from Asenjo Energy for US$2.5 million.
In March 2016 African Energy Resources signed a term sheet with an unnamed South African investment group to develop an integrated coal mine and thermal power station at Mmamabula West. In April 2016 the company said it was developing plans for a 600 MW coal plant at the site. The EIA was underway, and the company planned to submit the project to South Africa’s IPP procurement program by late 2016.
In November 2016 Africa Energy Resources reported that its environmental consultants had completed the draft amendment to the Environmental and Social Impact Statement and the Environmental and Social Management Plan to include the 600 MW coal plant in addition to coal mining and processing, with plans to submit the plans to the Department of Environmental Affairs in December.
An October 2018 quarterly report of African Energy Resources states that the company is reviewing "the recently released draft update to South Africa’s Integrated Resource Plan (IRP). Whilst the revised/draft IRP continue to promote use of coal as one of the principal sources of fuel for South Africa’s power needs, the draft does not specifically address the importation of 'cross‐border' power". The company is therefore "currently seeking input from the authorities in South Africa to determine the status of the Cross Border IPP Procurement Program."
A January 2019 quarterly report of African Energy Resources states the company is in "Negotiations with potential South African partners to take a majority stake in the project."
- Sponsor: Phokeje Power
- Parent company: African Energy Resources
- Location: Mmaphashalala, Botswana
- Coordinates: -23.609295, 26.774952 (approximate)
- Status: Pre-permit development
- Capacity: 600 MW
- Start date:
- Coal Type:
- Coal Source: Mmamabula West coal field
- Source of financing:
Articles and resources
- "Acquisition of 2.4 bt mmamabula west coal project," African Energy, Oct 15, 2013
- "Developing Power Projects in Southern Africa," African Energy London 121 Presentation, April 2016
- Harleigh Hobbs, "Mmamabula West project update," World Coal, 14 November 2016
- "Investor update: power generation opportunities in southern Africa," African Energy Resources presentation presentation, Feb 2, 2017
- "Quarterly Report," African Energy, July 31, 2018
- "Power Generation and Coal Export Project Developments," African Energy Investor Presentation, August 2018
- "Quarterly Report," African Energy, October 31, 2018
- "Quarterly Activities and Cashflow Report," African Energy Resources, January 31, 2019