Jump to navigation Jump to search
Resources and articles
Related Sourcewatch articles
- Aedes aegypti (Yellow Fever mosquito)
- Aedes albopictus (Asian tiger mosquito)
- Anopheles quadrimaculatus (a malarial mosquito found in North America)
- Culex pipiens (Northern House mosquito)
- Culex quinquefasciatus (Southern House mosquito)
- Lemon Eucalyptus
- Azadirachta indica (Neem)
- Liao S, Song J, Wang Z, Chen J, Fan G, Song Z, Shang S, Chen S, Wang P, "Molecular interactions between terpenoid mosquito repellents and human-secreted attractants," Bioorg Med Chem Lett, 24(3):773-9. doi: 10.1016/j.bmcl.2013.12.102, February 1, 2014.
- Gkinis G, Michaelakis A, Koliopoulos G, Ioannou E, Tzakou O, Roussis V, "Evaluation of the repellent effects of Nepeta parnassica extract, essential oil, and its major nepetalactone metabolite against mosquitoes," Parasitol Res, 113(3):1127-34. doi: 10.1007/s00436-013-3750-3, March 2014.
- Frances SP, Rigby LM, Chow WK, "Comparative laboratory and field evaluation of repellent formulations containing deet and lemon eucalyptus oil against mosquitoes in Queensland, Australia," J Am Mosq Control Assoc, 30(1):65-7, March 2014.
- Vinauger C, Lutz EK, Riffell JA, "Olfactory learning and memory in the disease vector mosquito, Aedes aegypti," J Exp Biol. 2014 Apr 15.
- Seenivasagan T, Guha L, Parashar BD, Agrawal OP, Sukumaran D, "Olfaction in Asian tiger mosquito Aedes albopictus: flight orientation response to certain saturated carboxylic acids in human skin emanations," Parasitol Res, 113(5):1927-32. doi: 10.1007/s00436-014-3840-x, May 2014.
- Menger DJ, VAN Loon JJ, Takken W, "Assessing the efficacy of candidate mosquito repellents against the background of an attractive source that mimics a human host," Med Vet Entomol, doi: 10.1111/mve.12061, May 6, 2014.
- Liu J, Fung D, Jiang J, Zhu Y, "Ultrafine particle emissions from essential-oil-based mosquito repellent products," Indoor Air, 24(3):327-35. doi: 10.1111/ina.12080, June 2014.
- Rehman JU, Ali A, Khan IA, "Plant based products: use and development as repellents against mosquitoes: A review," Fitoterapia, 95:65-74. doi: 10.1016/j.fitote.2014.03.002, June 2014.
- Hsu WS, Yen JH, Wang YS, "Formulas of components of citronella oil against mosquitoes (Aedes aegypti)," J Environ Sci Health B. 2013;48(11):1014-9. doi: 10.1080/03601234.2013.816613.
- Hao H, Sun J, Dai J, "Dose-dependent behavioral response of the mosquito Aedes albopictus to floral odorous compounds," J Insect Sci. 2013;13:127. doi: 10.1673/031.013.12701.
- Hamidou F. Sakhanokho, Blair J. Sampson, Nurhayat Tabanca, David E. Wedge, Betul Demirci, Kemal Husnu Can Baser, Ulrich R. Bernier, Maia Tsikolia, Natasha M. Agramonte, James J. Becnel, Jian Chen, Kanniah Rajasekaran, and James M. Spiers, "Chemical composition, antifungal and insecticidal activities of Hedychium essential oils," Molecules, 18, 4308-4327, April 11, 2013.
- Wu H, Fu CC, Yu DD, Feng JT, Zhang X, Ma ZQ, "Repellent activity screening of 11 kinds of essential oils against Aedes albopictus Skuse: microcapsule preparation of Herba Schizonepetae oil and repellent bioassay on hand skin," Trans R Soc Trop Med Hyg. 2013 Aug;107(8):471-9. doi: 10.1093/trstmh/trt045.
- Meepagala KM, Bernier UR, Burandt C, Duke SO, "Mosquito repellents based on a natural chromene analogue with longer duration of action than N,N-diethyl-meta-toluamide (DEET)," J Agric Food Chem, 61(39):9293-7. doi: 10.1021/jf402635z, October 2, 2013.
- Koriem KM, "Review on pharmacological and toxicologyical effects of oleum azadirachti oil," Asian Pac J Trop Biomed. 2013 Oct;3(10):834-40. doi: 10.1016/S2221-1691(13)60165-3.
- Liu F, Chen L, Appel AG, Liu N."Olfactory responses of the antennal trichoid sensilla to chemical repellents in the mosquito, Culex quinquefasciatus," J Insect Physiol, 59(11):1169-77. doi: 10.1016/j.jinsphys.2013.08.016, November 2013.
- Leal WS, Choo YM, Xu P, da Silva CS, Ueira-Vieira C, "Differential expression of olfactory genes in the southern house mosquito and insights into unique odorant receptor gene isoforms," Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2013 Nov 12;110(46):18704-9. doi: 10.1073/pnas.1316059110, November 12, 2013.
- Lupi E, Hatz C, Schlagenhauf P, "The efficacy of repellents against Aedes, Anopheles, Culex and Ixodes spp. - a literature review," Travel Med Infect Dis. 2013 Nov-Dec;11(6):374-411. doi: 10.1016/j.tmaid.2013.10.005.
- Deletre E, Martin T, Campagne P, Bourguet D, Cadin A, Menut C, Bonafos R, Chandre F, "Repellent, irritant and toxic effects of 20 plant extracts on adults of the malaria vector Anopheles gambiae mosquito," PLoS One. 2013 Dec 23;8(12):e82103. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0082103.
- Tawatsin A, Wratten SD, Scott RR, Thavara U, Techadamrongsin Y. Repellency of volatile oils from plants against three mosquito vectors. Journal of Vector Ecology. 2001;26:76–82.
- Kline DL, Bernier UR, Posey KH, Barnard DR. Olfactometric evaluation of spatial repellents for Aedes aegypti. Journal of Medical Entomology. 2003;40:463–467.
- Trongtokit Y, Rongstiyam Y, Komalamisra N, Apiwathnasorn C. Comparative repellency of 38 essential oils against mosquito bites. Phytotherapy Research. 2005;19:303–309.
- Amer A, Melhorn H. Repellency effect of forty-one essential oils against Aedes, Anopheles, and Culex mosquitoes. Parasitology Research. 2006;99:478–490.
- Hao HL, Deng XJ, Du JW. Extraction of catnip essential oil components and their repellent activity against Aedes albopictus and Culex pipien pallens. Acta Entomology Sinica. 2006;49:533–577.
- Kang SH, Kim MK, Seo DK, Noh DJ, Yang JO, Yoon D, Kim GH. Comparative repellency of essential oils against Culex pipiens pallens (Diptera: Culicidae). Journal of the Korean Society for Applied Biological Chemistry. 2009;52:353–359.
- Barnard D. Repellency of essential oils to mosquitoes (Diptera: Culicidae). Journal of Medical Entomology. 1999;36:625–629.
- Dogan EB, Rossignol PA. An olfactometer for discrimination between attraction, inhibition and repellency in mosquitoes (Diptera:Culicidae). Journal of Medical Entomology. 1999;36:788–793.