Nancy Birdsall is President of the Center for Global Development, a policy-oriented research institution that opened its doors in Washington, DC in October 2001. Prior to launching the center, Ms. Birdsall served for three years as Senior Associate and Director of the Economic Reform Project at the Carnegie Endowment for International Peace. Her work at Carnegie focused on issues of globalization and inequality, as well as on the reform of the international financial institutions."
"From 1993 to 1998, Ms. Birdsall was Executive Vice-President of the Inter-American Development Bank, the largest of the regional development banks, where she oversaw a $30 billion public and private loan portfolio. Before joining the Inter-American Development Bank, she spent 14 years in research, policy, and management positions at the World Bank, most recently as Director of the Policy Research Department."
"Ms. Birdsall is the author, co-author, or editor of more than a dozen books and monographs, including, most recently, Population Matters: Demographic Change, Economic Growth and Poverty in the Developing World, Washington Contentious: Economic Policies for Social Equity in Latin America, and New Markets, New Opportunities? Economic and Social Mobility in a Changing World. She has also written more than 75 articles for books and scholarly journals published in English and Spanish. Shorter pieces of her writing have appeared in dozens of U.S. and Latin American newspapers and periodicals."
"Ms. Birdsall is a member of the Board of Directors of the Population Council. She has chaired the board of the International Center for Research on Women and has also served on the boards of the Social Science Research Council and the Overseas Development Council. She has served on a number of committees and working groups of the National Academy of Sciences."
Birdsall holds a Ph.D. in economics from Yale University and an M.A. in international relations from the Paul H. Nitze School of Advanced International Studies (SAIS) at Johns Hopkins University.
- Trustee, Center for Interfaith Action on Global Poverty 
- Advisory Board, PREAL
- Member, Task Force In Support of Arab Democracy
- Leadership Council, Initiative for Global Development 
- External Advisory Board, Global Development and the Environment Institute 
- Advisory Board, Center for Effective Global Action 
Resources and articles
- Board, Center for Interfaith Action on Global Poverty, accessed November 20, 2010.
- Leadership, Initiative for Global Development, accessed December 11, 2007.
- GDAE Advisory Boards, Global Development and the Environment Institute, accessed December 28, 2007.
- Advisory board, Center for Effective Global Action, accessed December 14, 2022.