New Uses Council
According to the organization's web site, New Uses Council (NUC) is "a dynamic and expanding, 501(c)(3) non-profit membership organization dedicated to the development and commercialization of biobased products. These products are made from traditional and new agricultural and forestry crops and residues; rights-of-way, park, yard and garden trimmings; the clean biomass portion of municipal wastes; and, when needed, aquatic biomass grown in an environmentally enhancing manner. NUC maintains that biobased products reduce dependence on fossil energy, particularly imported oil, and thereby enhance national, energy, homeland, economic and environmental security. Importantly, biobased products put farmers, ranchers, dairymen and foresters in the forefront in stabilizing greenhouse gas emissions while improving the economy in rural and urban communities.
"These New Uses represent growing and important new value-added opportunities for agriculture, industry, the environment, and the economy based on providing cost-competitive, environmentally improved products made from renewable resources.
"Over the past two years, NUC has aggressively expanded the breadth and expertise of our diverse membership by bringing three other key non-profit organizations under our umbrella, starting a new trade association, spearheading innovative private/public information campaigns and serving the cause of new uses and biobased products as we have been since our founding in 1990."
- R. James Woolsey, Jr.
- Dr. Richard Balzhiser, President Emeritus of the Electric Power Research Institute and former Deputy Scientific Advisor to the President
- Christopher Flavin, President, World Watch Institute, Washington, DC
- Dan Glickman, former U.S. Secretary of Agriculture
- LaDonna Harris, President, Americans for Indian Opportunity, Santa Anna Pueblo, NM
- Denis Hayes, President, Bullitt Foundation Chairman, Earth Day Network Board, Seattle, WA
- Tina Hobson, Board Member, Renew the Earth National Center for Appropriate Technology, Front Royal, VA
- C. Boyden Gray
- Amory Lovins, CEO, Rocky Mountain Institute, Snow Mass, CO
- L. Hunter Lovins, Co-Chair / President, Natural Capitalism Group, Boulder, CO
- Robert McFarlane, National Security Advisor to President Ronald Reagan
- David Miller, former U.S. Ambassador to Tanzania and Zimbabwe
- David Morris, Ph.D., Director, Institute of Local Self Reliance and Carbohydrate Economy, Minnesota
- Karl Rabago, Sustainability Alliances Leader, Cargill Dow LLC, Minnetonka, Minnesota
- Dr. Shelby Thames, Ph.D., President, University of Southern Mississippi, Hattiesburg, Mississippi
- Dr. Joyce L. Winterton, Ph.D., Associate Director, Education Programs, USA Today, McLean, VA
- Dan Manternach, Executive Director
7777 Walnut Grove Road, Suite B4, Box 50
Memphis, TN 38120