Nicholas E. Calio
A 1998 'Fortune' magazine survey of Members of Congress, Congressional staff, Administration staff, and Washington lobbyists. It rated the firm O'Brien Calioas one of 'the ten most powerful' in Washington, and it combine political aides from both sides of the political fence.
In 1991, partner Nicholas Calio had been the Vice President of The Duberstein Group, Inc., a legislative consulting firm. He was also Senior Vice President of the National Association of Wholesaler-Distributors, a major business trade association (in 1984-1989), and before that, Counsel with the law firm of Santarelli & Bond (1981-1984) and the law firm of Santarelli and Gimer (1978-1981). Simultaneously, he served as Litigation Counsel for the Washington Legal Foundation (1981-1984) which was involved in conservative politics and corporate lobbying.   [Bates: 2073193827]
Calio was born January 10, 1953, in Cleveland, Ohio. He graduated from Ohio Wesleyan University (B.A. 1975) and the Case Western Reserve University School of Law (J.D. 1978). He has been active in the last six presidential campaigns and in Republican Party politics in general."  
Prior to becoming Citigroup's Senior Vice President for Global Government Affairs, [responsible for the company's government affairs globally, including U.S. Federal government relations, U.S. State government relations and international government relations], Nicholas E. Calio "served President George W. Bush as Assistant to the President for Legislative Affairs from January 2001 to January 2003." 
"As the President's principal liaison to Congress, Calio worked closely with the leadership and members of the United States Senate and House of Representatives and had the primary responsibility for formulating and implementing White House strategy on all legislative issues. He held the same position during the Administration of President George H.W. Bush."
"Prior to joining the current Bush Administration, Mr. Calio was a partner at O'Brien Calio,which he co-founded in 1993 with Lawrence O'Brien, III. Calio started the firm after leaving the first Bush Administration, during which he also served as Deputy Assistant to the President in charge of relations with the House of Representatives" (1989-1991).  
His partner Larry O'Brien was the son of an aide to both President Kennedy and Johnson. Larry O'Brien was the Treasury Department’s former deputy for tax legislation (1977-1979) So O'Brien Callio worked in political lobbying for both sides, although the company was very actively involved in GOP fund raising. They also worked for the tobacco and asbestos industries which put them into Fortune's list of the top 25 lobbyists in Washington.
Nicholas Callio is close to the Bush family's -- both President George HW Bush and President George W Bush. in 2003 he was appointed vice president for Citigroup.
Note: Others on the O'Brien Calio company staff were Kim McKerman, Charles Mellody, Linda Tarplin and Patricia Nelson. Nelson was a former staff member of the House Ways & Means Committee. http://www.citizen.org/documents/ACF2B13.pdf
Washington political fundraisers
1998 Mar 21 The National Journal published an article entitled the Money-Meisters on political fund raising, naming these lobbyists.
- Brenda Larsen Becker, of Blue Cross, Blue Shield Association
- Richard C Creighton, Pres, American Portland Cement Alliance
- Dirk Van Dongen, Pres of the National Association of Wholesaler-Distributors
- Nicholas E Calio, of O'Brien Callio
- Wayne Berman, of Berman Enterprises, raises money for Sen D'Amato of NY and Republican Governor's Association
- Juanita D Duggan, of Philip Morris
- J Steven Hart, of Williams & Jensen, works for DeLay and Nickles
- Edward Rogers Jr, partner of Barbour Griffith & Rogers
- Haley R Barbour, partner [ex-Chm. of Republican National Committee]
- [Newt Gingrich, House Speaker]
- [Guy Vander Jagt, R-MI, Chm of National Republican Congressional Committee]
- [Jim Nicholson, Chm of Republican National Committee]
- [John Boehner, House Republican Conference Chairman]
Democrat fund raisers
- Thomas Hale Boggs Jr of Patton Boggs
- Daniel Dutko of the Dutko Group (telecoms firsms
- Rick Diegel, political director of the Intl Brotherhood of Electrical Workers
- Paul A Equale, Ex VP of Independent Insurance Agents of America.
- Dennis E Eckart, (ex D-OH) of Arter & Hadden, represents American Gaming Assco. Las Vegas.
- Peter Knight, Wunder Knight Levine Thelen & Forscey (friend of Al Gore)
- John A Merrigan, of Verner Liipfert Bernhard McPherson & Hand.
- Berl Bernhard, of Verner Liipfert Bernhard McPherson & Hand
- Matt Angle, Exec Dir of Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee]
- [Paul A Johnson, Ex Dir of Democratic Senatorial Campaign Committee]