Oprah Gail Winfrey (born January 29, 1954) is an American television presenter, media mogul and philanthropist. Her internationally-syndicated talk show, The Oprah Winfrey Show, has earned her multiple Emmy Awards and is the highest-rated talk show in the history of television. wiki
"Chairman, Angel Network Support Foundation and Oprah's Angel Network; National Spokesperson, A Better Chance; Member, Board of Advisors, Quincy Jones Listen Up Foundation; Founder, The Oprah Winfrey Foundation; Creator, The Oprah Winfrey Scholars Program; Former Board Member, Reading is Fundamental, an affiliate of the Smithsonian Institution." 
In 2000, "NAACP Board of Directors Chairman Julian Bond announced that Oprah Winfrey would be presented the 85th NAACP Spingarn Award during a banquet at the New York Hilton Hotel and Towers in New York City on Thursday, November 16, 2000." 
- Founder, Oprah's Angel Network
- Council, National Museum of African American History and Culture
- Winner of a 1998 Jefferson Awards
- Top 100 of The New Establishment
- Chairman, Harpo, Inc.
- Cofounder, Oxygen Media, Inc.
- Patron, Desmond Tutu Peace Trust (S.A.) 
- Recipient of the Bob Hope Humanitarian Award 
- Vicki Abt and Leonard Mustazza, Coming after Oprah : cultural fallout in the age of the TV talk show (Bowling Green State University Popular Press, 1997).
- Janice Peck, The Age of Oprah: Cultural Icon for the Neoliberal Era (Paradigm, 2008).
- Kathryn Lofton, Oprah: The Gospel of an Icon (University of California Press, March 2011). Interview
Resources and articles
Related Sourcewatch articles
- Council, National Museum of African American History and Culture, accessed January 12, 2009.
- NAACP Awards Oprah Winfrey 85th Spingarn Award, Highbeam, accessed January 12, 2009.
- Contact, Desmond Tutu Peace Foundation, accessed January 7, 2011.
- Bob Hope Humanitarian Award, emmys.tv, accessed January 10, 2011.