Pakri Barwadih Mine
The Pakri Barwadih mine is in the state of Jharkhand in India's east. In December 2010, Leighton Holdings subsidiary Thiess won a $5.5 billion coal mining contract to develop and operate the mine, which will run over 22 years for the largest state-owned power generator National Thermal Power Corporation. Revenue is expected to be $500 million in the first five years, with peak production of 15 million tonnes to be reached in three years.
India is the world's third-largest coal producer but the world's fourth-largest importer. More than half India's electricity generation is coal-fired. NTPC wants to more than double its power generation capacity by 2017 and produce more than a quarter of its own coal. As of 2010, its supply comes from Coal India and from imports.
Citizens Groups Tracking Coal Power and Mining in India
- Environmental Protection Group, Orissa
- India Youth Climate Network
- Jharkhand Mines Area Coordination Committee
- Kalpavriksh Environment Action Group
- Kuntala Lahiri Dutta Australia
- Mines, Minerals and People
Articles and Resources
- Philip Wen, "Thiess wins $5.5b India contract" Sydney Morning Herald, Dec. 3, 2010.
Related SourceWatch articles
- Tata Power
- Tata Ultra Mega
- India and nuclear power
- U.S.- India Civil Nuclear Cooperation Initiative
- Global use and production of coal
- Australia and coal
- Britain and coal
- China and coal
- Colombia and coal
- Germany and coal
- India and coal
- Indonesia and coal
- Japan and coal
- New Zealand and coal
- South Africa and coal
- United States and coal
- Ministry of Coal, "Coal Mining in India: The Past", Ministry of Coal website, accessed June 2008.
- Ministry of Coal, 2007-2008 Annual Report", Government of India Ministry of Coal. (Large Pdf)
- International Energy Agency, "Coal in India in 2005", International Energy Agency website, accessed June 2008.
- U.S. Geological Survey, India 1994-2006
- "India", World Coal Institute, undated, accessed June 2008.
- Country Profile: Focus on India", Ecoal, World Coal Institute, July 2006.
- Abhay Singh and Pratik Parija, "Coal India Seeks Faster Approvals, Imports, Overseas Miners", Bloomberg, July 1, 2009.
|This article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.|