Paul Fentener van Vlissingen
'Paul Fentener van Vlissingen (deceased August 2006)
"Van Vlissingen resigned as chairman of SHV Holdings after being diagnosed with pancreatic cancer in May 2005 and returned to his castle in Langbroek, Netherlands, from his estate in Scotland...
"Van Vlissingen, who had a fortune estimated at €2.1 billion, or $2.7 billion, established the African Parks Conservation Foundation, a nonprofit organization designed to manage parks like businesses, using proceeds to protect wildlife areas from poaching and human encroachment...
"Van Vlissingen estimated his own gifts to environmental causes and charities at €100 million...
"SHV Holdings had roots in the 19th- century coal industry. Besides owning the Makro chain, SHV is one of the world's largest scrap-metal recycling companies and has interests in gas distribution and oil exploration.
"Van Vlissingen became the company's chief executive in 1984, and oversaw a tripling of sales before becoming board chairman in 1998, SHV said. In 2005, SHV reported earnings of €358 million on sales of €15.2 billion." 
- Founder, African Parks Foundation 
- Former Director, WildlifeDirect 
- Club 21 Member, Peace Parks Foundation
Resources and articles
- Obituary: Paul van Vlissingen, 65, nature conservationist, Herald Tribune, accessed October 20, 2007.
- African Parks Foundation, African Parks Foundation, accessed October 20, 2007.
- The Team, WildlifeDirect, accessed November 14, 2007.