Peter Carington or Lord Carrington (note rs) was Secretary General of NATO from 1984 to 1988
He was Foreign Secretary of the UK from 1979 to 1982 and was Defence Secretary from 1970 to 1974 under Edward Heath. He was notable for holding such offices whilst sitting in the House of Lords - Lords only usually hold junior positions and ones like Lord Chancellor that only they can.
He is a member of the America APPG. His was a hereditary peerage, and so he had to be elected to stay there; when the remaining hereditary peers are removed, he may well be given a life peerage also.
- Former Commissioner, International Commission on Missing Persons 
- Patron (2000), Zimbabwe Democracy Trust
- Patron, Tree Aid 
- Patron, British American Project 
- Former Patron, Rhino Rescue Trust 
- Former Board Member, Rio Tinto Zinc
- Council, Volunteer Services Overseas 
Resources and articles
Related Sourcewatch articles
- Former Commissioners, International Commission on Missing Persons, accessed February 22, 2008.
- Tree Aid Patrons, organizational web page, accessed April 2, 2012.
- British American Project Advisory Board organizational web page, accessed May 14, 2013.
- Who we are, Rhino Rescue Trust (archived page from 2010), accessed December 14, 2011.
- Council, Volunteer Services Overseas, accessed July 3, 2010.