Peter Moon is a president of Seattle-based O2Compost, company selling compost systems and training for stables, farms, golf courses, vintners and municipalities. They utilize a method of composting called "Aerated Static Pile Composting" that introduces airflow through the pile to maintain aerobic (air filled) conditions in the compost.Moon grew up in the San Francisco Bay Area and is currently working on a pilot program in Nevada County, CA, to turn biosolids, treated sewage sludge, into compost. He has installed approximately 500 systems and is selling the basic kits at $675 including lumber and can make 2-1/2 cubic yards of compost per batch. 
- Physical address:
312 Maple Avenue, Suite C Snohomish, WA 98290
Toxic Sewage Sludge Given Away as "Organic Biosolids Compost"
In 2009 a major controversy erupted in San Francisco when the Center for Food Safety and the Organic Consumers Association called on the SFPUC to end its give-away of toxic sewage sludge as free "organic biosolids compost" to gardeners. A March 4, 2010, demonstration at City Hall by the OCA forced a temporary halt to the program. (See articles below)   The misleading labeled "organic compost," which the PUC has given away free to gardeners since 2007, is composed of toxic sewage sludge from San Francisco and eight other counties. Very little toxicity testing has been done, but what little has been done is alarming. Just the sludge from San Francisco alone has tested positive for 1,2-Dibromo-3-Chloropropane (a.k.a. DBCP), Isopropyltoluene (a.k.a. p-cymene or p-isopropyltoluene), Dioxins and Furans. 
Articles and resources
Related SourceWatch articles
- The Secret to Composting is Oxygen – O2, O2Compost website, Accessed August 3rd, 2010.
- O2Compost Website, Accessed August 3, 2010.
- Heather Knight, Nonprofit calls PUC's compost toxic sludge, San Francisco Chronicle, September 27, 2009.
- Barry Estabrook, Free Compost--Or Toxic Sludge?, The Atlantic, December 1, 2009
- Anna Werner, Concern Over SF Compost Made from Sewage Sludge, CBS Channel 5, March 3, 2010
- Leora Broydo Vestel, http://greeninc.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/04/09/food-groups-clash-over-compost-sludge/ Food Groups Clash Over Compost Sludge, New York Times Green Inc. blog, April 9 2010.
- Chris Roberts, Farmers Call PUC's Shit, Will Dump it on City Hall Today, San Francisco Appeal, March 4, 2010.
- Jill Richardson, What San Francisco Found in Their Own Sludge, La Vida Locavore blog, April 8, 2010.
|This article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.|