Born in Bishop Auckland on December 27 1948. Educated at City of Leicester College of Education and Leicester University. In 1999 he was knighted. In 2005, he contested, and won, the parliamentary seat of Leicester South and remained member of parliament for that constituency until April 2011, when I resigned the seat in order to stand for election as Leicester City Council’s first city mayor.
On October 2010, Peter was appointed as Shadow Enviroment Minister. 
- Vice chair, Combined Fire Authority
- Shareholder, Cassbar Ltd; trades as ‘Entropy’ (in 2010) 
- Former Head of Regions, British Lung Foundation
- Former Deputy Chair, British Waterways
- Member of Unite
- Member of the Co-operative Party
- Active member of Leicester Unitarian Chapel
- Patron, Leicester Charity Link  
- Director, Leicestershire Enterprise Partnership 
- "Leicester's Mayor sacks the man supposed to scrutinise him", Liberal England, May 03, 2012.