Preston Chiaro was appointed chief executive of Rio Tinto's "Energy group in 2003 and upon a management re-organisation he also assumed responsibility for the Industrials Minerals group in November 2007. He joined the Group in 1991 at Kennecott Utah Copper's Bingham Canyon mine as vice president, technical services. In 1995 he became vice president and general manager of the Boron operations in California.
"He was chief executive of Rio Tinto Borax from 1999 to 2003.
External appointments (current and recent): 
- Director of the World Coal Institute since 2003 (chairman since 2006)
- Director of Rossing Uranium Limited since 2004
- Chairman of the Coal Industry Advisory Board to the International Energy Agency between 2004 and 2006.
- Director of Energy Resources of Australia Limited between 2003 and 2006
- Director of Coal & Allied Industries Limited between 2003 and 2006
- Director, Resources for the Future