Prudential Financial, Inc., based in Newark, New Jersey, USA, is one of the largest life insurers in the world, known for its Rock of Gibraltar logo. Besides life insurance, it also sells long-term care and disability insurance and also offers mutual funds and retirement services. Top competitors are AIG and MetLife. In 2006, sales were US$32.5 billion with profits of US$3.4 billion. 
Prudential Financial gave $285,600 to federal candidates in the 2006 election through its political action committee - 45% to Democrats, 53% to Republicans, and 2% ($6,000) to independent Joseph Lieberman (I-CT). 
Ties to the American Legislative Exchange Council
A list of ALEC Corporations can be found here.
ALEC is a corporate bill mill. It is not just a lobby or a front group; it is much more powerful than that. Through ALEC, corporations hand state legislators their wishlists to benefit their bottom line. Corporations fund almost all of ALEC's operations. They pay for a seat on ALEC task forces where corporate lobbyists and special interest reps vote with elected officials to approve “model” bills. Learn more at the Center for Media and Democracy's ALECexposed.org, and check out breaking news on our PRWatch.org site.
Open Secrets says, "Prudential was one of several insurance companies in support of the 1999 banking reform bill, which opened the doors for banks and insurance carriers to broaden the scope of their business. Prudential also has joined in efforts to defeat managed care reform, which would give patients broader rights to sue their health plans." 
|Key executives and 2006 pay: ||Options
|Arthur F. Ryan, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer||$7,300,000||$0|
|John Robert Strangfeld, Jr., Chief Executive Officer of Prudential Securities||$4,400,000||$3,170,000|
|Richard J. Carbone, Chief Financial Officer||$2,070,000||$4,690,000|
|Mark B. Grier, Vice Chairman of International Division||$3,530,000||$7,130,000|
Accessed December 2007: 
- Arthur F. Ryan
- Frederic K. Becker
- Gordon M. Bethune, Former Chairman and Chief Executive Officer, Continental Airlines, Inc.
- Gov. W. Gaston Caperton III
- Gilbert F. Casellas
- James G. Cullen
- William H. Gray III, Also Director of Dell Inc., JPMorgan Chase & Co., and Pfizer Inc.
- Jon F. Hanson
- Constance J. Horner
- Karl J. Krapek, Director Delta Air Lines, Former Chief Operating Officer of United Technologies Corporation
- Christine A. Poon
- James A. Unruh
751 Broad Street
Newark, NJ 07102
- Prudential Financial Profile, Hoovers, accessed November 2007.
- 2006 PAC Summary Data, Open Secrets, accessed November 2007.
- Clearinghouse on Environmental Advocacy and Research, project of the Environmental Working Group, Information on American Legislative Exchange Council, archived organizational profile, archived by Wayback Machine December 2, 2000, accessed August 19, 2011
- Prudential Financial lobbying expenses, Open Secrets, accessed November 2007.
- Prudential Financial, Open Secrets, accessed November 2007.
- Prudential Financial Key Executives, Yahoo Finance, accessed November 2007.
- Board of Directors, Prudential Financial, accessed December 10, 2007.