"He attended graduate school in Lebanon, at the American University of Beruit, and earned a master’s in Middle East studies—not surprising given his father’s Lebanese roots. From 2005 to 2006, he worked for the U.S. Embassy in Baghdad, where, according to a story in Monday’s Tribune, “…he toured the war-torn country with reporters and helped with coverage of the trial of Saddam Hussein.” He had been an advance man for McCain during the 2008 campaign, popular with reporters, who saw him as smart, calm, cool, fun, and friendly. (Earlier he worked as a volunteer in George W. Bush’s personnel office and then for the Department of Energy.)
"Most recently young LaHood went to Cairo, where he directed that city’s office of the IRI, remaining through the Tahrir Square riots, the ouster of President Hosni Mubarak, the imposition of military rule, and the civilian unrest that has followed. " His father is Ray LaHood.
In 2012 he was among the 43 people that were arrested in Egypt, the others include: 
- International Republican Institute Sherine Nafeet (American), Christine Angel (Norwegian), Dan Eric Tishk (American - absent), Hans Chris (American - absent), John George Toma (American), Rida Khader al-Raya (Palestinian), Osama Azizi (American Lebanese - absent), Tanya Mark (American - absent), Elizabeth Dugan (American - absent), Ahmed Shawki Haikal (Egyptian), Ahmed Abdel Aziz Abdel Aal (Egyptian), Ahmed Oreib Adam (Egyptian), Essam Borei (Egyptian)
- National Democratic Institute Julie Ann Hughes (American), Almandin Kotovitch (Serbian), Jodmir Milic (Serbian), Layla Jafar (American - absent), Robert Becker (American), Mariana Konasevitch (Serbian), Sitia Nilhaj (American), Dana Zebakono (American - absent), Ali Juda al-Haj Suleiman (Lebanese - absent), Maroun Abdel Basir (Lebanese - absent), Michael Jeans (American - absent), Mohammed Ashraf Kamel (Egyptian), Radwa Sayyid Ahmed - (Egyptian), Hafsa Maher Halawa - (Egyptian), Amin Mohammed Morsi - (Egyptian)
- Freedom House Charles Dan - (American - absent), Al Sherif Ahmed Mansour (American - absent), Amir Amin Jarrah - (Jordanian - absent), Mohammed Ahmed Abdel Aziz - (Egyptian), Nancy Gamel Akil - (Egyptian), Basem Fathi Mohammed Ali - (Egyptian), Magdi Moharrem Hassan - (Egyptian)
- International Center for Journalists Patrick Butler - (American - absent, Natasha Tynes - (American - absent), Megan Mitchell (American - absent), Yehia Zakaria Ghaem - (Egyptian), Islam Mohammed Foued - (Egyptian), [[
- Konrad Adenauer Stiftung [ Andreas Jacobs - (German), Christine Margaret - (German)
Resources and articles
- chicagomag A Look at Sam LaHood, One of 19 Americans on Trial in Egypt, organizational web page, accessed April 18, 2012.
- aljazeera Arrested People, organizational web page, accessed April 19, 2012.