"Skills and experience: Sam was appointed chief executive of the Iron Ore group in 2004. He joined Rio Tinto in 1991, following 20 years in the automotive industry at General Motors and Nissan Australia. He has held a number of management positions within the Group, including managing director of Comalco Foundry Products, CRA Industrial Products, Hamersley Iron Sales and Marketing, Hamersley Iron Operations, vice president of Rio Tinto Iron Ore (with responsibility for Hamersley Iron and Robe River) and from 2001 to 2004, chief executive of the Aluminium group. Sam is also a Fellow of the Australian Institute of Management, the Australian Institute of Mining and Metallurgy and the Australian Institute of Company Directors." 
- Director of the Australian Chamber of Commerce and Industry between 2003 and 2005.
- Director of the Australian Mines and Metals Association between 2001 and 2005.
- Director of the Committee for Perth Ltd since 2006.
- Director of Western Australian Newspaper Holdings Limited since December 2008.
- Council, International Council on Mining and Metals