Sandia National Laboratories
Since 1949, Sandia National Laboratories (SNL) "has developed science-based technologies that support our national security. Today, over 272 million Americans depend on Sandia's technology solutions to solve national and global threats to peace and freedom." 
Ironically for Sandia's "science-based" claim, for at least 7 years including 2008, one of its board members was attorney Donna Bethell, a board member of Fred Singer's climate contrarian Science and Environmental Policy Project who has criticized science-aligned climate journalism and praised her husband Thomas Bethell's climate contrarian writing, according to John Mashey, who wonders if this governance is in taxpayers' best interests:
- "Imagine one found an astrologer in a position of influence over NASA or a tobacco executive over the National Institutes of Health. Would that worry a taxpayer?"
Discover Which Corporations are the Biggest Violators of Environmental, Health and Safety Laws in the United States
Violation Tracker is the first national search engine on corporate misconduct covering environmental, health, and safety cases initiated by 13 federal regulatory agencies. Violation Tracker is produced by the Corporate Research Project of Good Jobs First. Click here to access Violation Tracker.
"Today, Sandia has two primary facilities: a large laboratory and headquarters in Albuquerque, New Mexico (over 6,800 employees) and a smaller laboratory in Livermore, California (about 850 employees)." 
"Through science and technology, people, infrastructure, and partnerships, Sandia's mission is to meet national needs in four key areas: 
- Nuclear weapons -- ensuring the stockpile is safe, secure, reliable, and can support the United States' deterrence policy
- Nonproliferation and materials control -- reducing the proliferation of weapons of mass destruction, the threat of nuclear accidents, and the potential for damage to the environment
- Energy and critical infrastructure -- enhancing the surety of energy and other critical infrastructures
- Emerging threats -- addressing new threats to national security
Sandia is a government-owned/contractor operated (GOCO) facility. Lockheed Martin manages Sandia for the U.S. Department of Energy's National Nuclear Security Administration. We seek collaborative partnerships on emerging technologies that support our mission.
Board of Directors
As of November 2011, Sandia's board of directors consists of:
- Marillyn A. Hewson (Chairwoman), Lockheed Martin Executive Vice President of Electronic Systems
- Paul Hommert (Vice Chairman), Sandia National Laboratories President and Laboratories Director
- Donna F. Bethell
- Jay Brozost
- David E. Daniel
- William G. Howard, Jr.
- Ray O. Johnson
- Katherine J. Kerchner
- Patricia L. Lewis
- James R. Schlesinger
- Larry D. Welch
"Research programs and projects at Sandia National Laboratories are established by Congress through its authorization and appropriation authorities, working in conjunction with the executive branch through the President's budget proposal process. The Board of Directors for Sandia Corporation - whose purpose is to provide strategic guidance and assistance for the effective management of Sandia National Laboratories - does not direct research or otherwise influence mission requirements established for Sandia by the Department of Energy's National Nuclear Security Administration."
Sandia National Laboratories
1515 Eubank SE
Albuquerque, NM 87123
Phone: (505) 284-5200
7011 East Avenue
Livermore, CA 94550
Phone: (925) 294-2912
Articles and resources
- John Mashey (2011-11-02). John Mashey - Weird Anti-Science - Donna Bethell, SEPP, and Sandia National Laboratories. DeSmogBlog. Retrieved on 2011-11-01.
- Email from media relations specialist Heather Clark to ahaynes, 2011-11-21
Related SourceWatch articles
- Advanced Concepts Group
- Military-industrial complex
- Nuclear weapons complex
- Prison-industrial complex
- Donna Bethell