Shenhua Yuanyang Lake power station
|This article is part of the CoalSwarm coverage of China and coal|
Shenhua Yuanyang Lake power station is a 1,320-megawatt (MW) coal-fired power plant in Ningxia Hui Autonomous Region, China.
An additional 2,000 MW is under development.
- 1 Location
- 2 Background on Plant
- 3 Description of Expansion
- 4 Ownership
- 5 Project Details
- 6 Articles and resources
The undated satellite photo below shows the plant in Yinchuan Prefecture, Ningxia Hui Autonomous Region.
Background on Plant
Description of Expansion
Shenhua is currently planning to build two additional coal-fired units at this plant, with a total planned capacity of 2,000 MW.
Nationwide Restrictions Imposed on Development of Coal-Fired Power Capacity
In 2016 China's National Energy Administration issued "scale control" (coal-fired capacity limits) on particular "sending out" locations that feed ultra-high voltage (UHV) long-distance power lines, including Inner Mongolia (Xilingong), Inner Mongolia (Ordos), Shaanxi, Ningxia, and Xinjiang.
As of January 2017, the affected area includes this power station, and units 3-4 may be scaled down as a result. For details, see China's 2016 Restrictions on Development of Coal-Fired Power Capacity.
2017: Plant expansion postponed by government
In July 2017, the NEA released the "Guideline of Supply-Side Reform of the Coal Power Bubble". The Guideline included a draft list which slowed down or halted 185 coal-burning units across 21 provinces, totaling 107 GW. 114 coal units (65 GW) are ordered to slow down the construction progress during 2017 to 2020, and are not allowed to connect to the grid in 2017. In addition, 71 coal units (42 GW) were halted indefinitely for regulation violations. The list partly overlapped with the projects listed in the January NEA letter to 13 provinces.
For more information, see China's 2016/2017 Restrictions on Development of Coal-Fired Power Capacity.
March 2018: Project substantially completed
Satellite photos for 38.0575, 106.691389 show that the project was substantially completed during the period from July 2017 to March 2018.
April 2019: Unit 3 commissioned
Unit 3 was commissioned in April 2019.
On August 28, 2017, China's State-owned Assets Supervision and Administration Commission of the State Council (SASAC) announced that China Guodian Corporation and Shenhua Group will be jointly restructured. Shenhua Group will become China National Energy Investment Group and will absorb China Guodian Corporation. It will be the largest power company in the world by installed capacity, as well as the world's largest coal producer. The merger was completed on November 28, 2017.
- Sponsor: National Energy Investment Group (56%), Ningxia Ningdong Development Investment (39%), Zhejiang Provincial Energy Group (5%)
- Location: Ciyaopu Town, Lingwu City, Yinchuan Prefecture, Ningxia Hui Autonomous Region, China
- Coordinates: 38.0575, 106.691389 (exact)
- Units 1-3: Operating
- Unit 4: Construction
- Gross capacity: 3,320 MW (Units 1 & 2: 660 MW; Units 3 & 4: 1,000 MW)
- Type: Supercritical (Units 1 & 2); Ultra-Supercritical (Units 3 & 4)
- Start year: 2010 (Unit 1); 2011 (Unit 2); 2019 (Unit 3-4)
- Coal type: Bituminous
- Coal source:
- Source of financing:
Articles and resources
- "神华国能鸳鸯湖电厂：打造“生态电厂," www.gesep.com, 2013-07-19
- "宁夏鸳鸯湖电厂二期百万工程项目正式进点," 中国火力发电网, 2014-01-15
- "世界首个百万千瓦级间接空冷燃煤机组电厂获核准," 神华集团有限责任公司, 2015-01-08
- "国神百万千瓦级超超临界间接空冷燃煤机组开工," 2015-06-05
- "能源局下发13省市新建火电机组停建清单(附文件)," Polaris, Jan 16, 2017
- "16部委联合发文防范化解煤电产能过剩风险," Sohu.com, 2017-08-03
- "2017年分省煤电停建和缓建项目名单," Sohu, 2017-10-12
- "国内最大百万千瓦间接空冷机组：鸳鸯湖电厂二期扩建工程3号机组投运," 江苏电建一公司, 2019/4/30
- "Factbox: Shenhua and Guodian - China's latest state marriage", Reuters (29 August 2017). Retrieved on 30 August 2017.
- "China Is Creating the World's Largest Power Company", Bloomberg News (28 August 2017). Retrieved on 29 August 2017.
- "China’s Newly-Established National Energy Investment Group Sets World Records in Its Sector, With Assets of Over CNY1.8 Trillion," Yicai Global, 11-28-2017