- "Born and raised in India, where he also had his early education. Obtained his MS and Ph.D. in Plant Breeding and Plant Genetics from the University of Wisconsin, USA. Worked for over 30 years in international agricultural research and development, serving as
a scientist, Regional Representative for South America, Director of Maize Program, and Director of African Livelihoods Program at International Maize and Wheat Improvement Center (CIMMYT) in Mexico and in its outreach programs.
- "In 2005, joined Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) of the United Nations as Director of Agricultural Support Systems Division (AGS).
In 2006, was appointed Director of Plant Production and Protection Division (AGP) at FAO, to lead work on increasing production and quality of all food and non-food crops to enhance food security and livelihoods especially of rural as well as urban poor. The work of the Division involves conservation and sustainable use of plant genetic resources, seed production, development and deployment of improved cultivars, use of appropriate agronomic practices, cropping systems, conservation agriculture, organic farming, and integrated pest management among others. International Treaties and Commissions such as ITPGRFA (International Treaty for Plant Genetic Resources for Food and Agriculture), GPA (Global Plan of Action), IPPC (International Plant Protection Commission), International Code of Conduct on Pesticides, and Rotterdam Convention also form parts of the Division’s work. Chairs the Inter-Departmental Working Group on Biotechnology at FAO which integrates research, development, and policy work on biotechnology of the Organization for agriculture, forestry, and fisheries.
- "Among honors and awards include D. Sc. from the Maharana Pratap University of Agriculture and Technology (India), Fellowship to the American Society of Agronomy, Fellowship to the Crop Science Society of America, and special recognitions from the governments of Bolivia, Colombia, Ecuador, and Vietnam.
- "Has authored or co-authored over 150 publications."
Articles and Resources
Related SourceWatch Articles
- FAO Plant Production and Protection Division
- High-Level Expert Forum on How to Feed the World in 2050
- Pandey CV, Accessed October 29, 2011.