Strengthening of America
Strengthening of America -- Our Children's Future describes itself as a "bipartisan group of former senators and representatives to come together for four forums to raise public consciousness of the country's growing and unsustainable debt.". The effort was convened by former U.S. Senators Sam Nunn (D-GA), Pete Domenici (R-NM), Warren Rudman (R-NH), and Evan Bayh (D-IN).
Strengthening of America lists the following organizations as partners in its efforts:
- Concord Coalition
- The Bipartisan Policy Center
- The Center for Strategic and International Studies
- The American Business Conference
- The James A. Baker III Institute for Public Policy at Rice University
- The Hoover Institution at Stanford
- Harvard's Belfer Center for Science and International Affairs
- Woodrow Wilson International Center for Scholars
Ties to the Peter G. Peterson Foundation
According to the group's website, Strengthening of America works closely and coordinates with the Campaign to Fix the Debt, the Comeback America Initiative, and the Peter G. Peterson Foundation. It lists support from the Concord Coalition, a group co-founded and heavily funded by Peter Peterson.
Fix the Debt
The group hosted four forums on topics related to the national debt:
- "America's Long-Term Fiscal Challenge" featuring Robert Rubin and James A. Baker III
- "The National Security Implication of the Debt and Bipartisan Plans for Addressing the Problem" featuring Robert Gates, Michael Mullen, Erskine Bowles, Pete Dominici, Alan Simpson, and [[Alice Rivlin
- "Pro-Growth Tax Reform" featuring Lawrence H. Summers, Martin Feldstein, David M. Cote, Alfred P. West, and Navin Thakkaram
- "The Imperative of Entitlement and Health Care Cost Control" featuring William H. Frist, Donna Shalala, John B. Taylor, and Alice Rivlin
- Howard Baker
- Bob Bennet
- David Boren
- Bill Brock
- Richard Bryan
- Mike Castle
- Jack Danforth
- Tom Davis
- Byron Dorgan
- Mickey Edwards
- Daniel Evans
- Victor Fazio
- Bill Frenzel
- Dan Glickman
- Slade Gorton
- Bob Graham
- William Gray
- Judd Gregg
- Chuck Hagel
- Jane Harman
- J. Bennett Johnston
- James Jones
- Nancy Kassebaum
- David McCurdy
- Jim Nussle
- Tim Penny
- Tim Roemer
- Alan Simpson
- Charlie Stenholm
- John Tanner
- Ellen Tauscher
- Tom Tauke
- John Vincent Weber
- Tim Wirth
Contact: H. Andrew Schwartz: aschwartz AT csis.org
Phone: (202) 775-3242
Resources & articles
- "Strengthening of America-Our Children's Future", Center for Strategic and International Studies, Accessed January 16, 2013.
- "About Us", Center for Strategic and International Studies, Accessed January 17, 2013.
- "Peter G Peterson Interlocks: People in Common Orgs" LittleSis, Accessed January 17, 2012.
- "Partners", Fix the Debt, Accessed January 25, 2013.
- Robert Rubin and James A. Baker, III on the Economic and Foreign Policy Implications of America's Debt", Center for Strategic and International Studies, Accessed January 16, 2013.
- "Gates, Mullen, Simpson, Bowles, Bell, Bixby, Rivlin and Domenici on Nat Sec and US Debt", Center for Strategic and International Studies, Accessed January 16, 2013.
- "Summers and Feldstein, Business Leaders discuss Pro-Growth Tax Reform at Carnegie Corporation of New York", Center for Strategic and International Studies, Accessed January 16, 2013.
- "The Imperative of Entitlement Reform and Health Care Cost Control", Center for Strategic and International Studies, Accessed January 16, 2013.
|This article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.|