I have relocated this here -- it sketches a web of connections but when looking at the Indymedia site it is derived from none of the points are referenced. So i think it would be better for each point to be supported with references rather than taking the claims at face value. --Bob Burton 21:53, 20 Dec 2005 (EST)
Enumeration of Bush-Greenberg Traurig Connections
1. Represented President Bush in the Bush-Gore 2000 Florida election vote recount.
- "Florida Attorneys for Bush and Gore to Debate 2000 Presidential Election Recount," University of Florida, College of Liberal Arts & Sciences, March 25, 2003: "Barry Richard, chief Florida attorney for Bush ... an attorney of Greenberg Traurig law firm in Tallahassee,..."
- "OF COUNSEL: POLITICS: READY, AIM...HIRE -- Florida Trend, column by Pat Dunnigan, http://www.fltrend.com , October 2004: "For the Bush campaign, litigator and constitutional law specialist Barry Richard, a Greenberg Traurig partner in Tallahassee who successfully argued against the Florida Supreme Court ruling in 2000 that would have allowed the re-counting to continue, has agreed to represent the Bush-Cheney ticket again should litigation arise."
2. Personally represents Florida Governor Jeb Bush. [Take your pick!]
- "Gov. Bush names Greenberg Traurig lawyer general counsel," South Florida BizJournal, November 25, 2002.
- "Hayden Dempsey Joins Greenberg Traurig LLP," GTlaw.com, December 23, 2003.
- Profile: Justin Sayfie, Poole McKinley & Blosser website.
- Bush Donor Profile: Justin J. Sayfie, Texans for Public Justice.
3. Hired son of Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia on election day 2000--after which Justice Scalia cast one of the 5 to 4 deciding votes which placed Bush in presidency.
- "Attorney John Scalia Joins Greenberg Traurig LLP’s Tysons Corner Office," GTLaw.com, January 10, 2001.
4.Miami-headquartered firm partially funded/sponsored delegation to Israel by House-Senate Armed Services Committee members and government contractors to witnes and be briefed on interrogation resistance procedures and torture techniques ... One of lobbyists joining them to Israel included Jack London, CEO, CACI International, the American defense contractor implicated by Major General Antonio M. Taguba in outsourced Iraqi torture at Abu Ghraib prison. See Taguba Report.
- Ali Abunimah"Israeli link possible in US torture techniques. In exchange for interrogation training, did Washington award security contracts?" The Daily Star (Lebanon), May 11, 2004. Also posted May 18, 2004 by San Francisco Indymedia.
- Tom Flocco, "Gonzalez confirmation hearing ignored US / Jordan torture links and legislative junket to Israel to witness 'anti-terror' exercises," 911citizenswatch.org, January 7, 2005.
5.Firm has prominent administrative positions in Massachusetts 9/11 Fund which also involves Bush family banking house Brown Brothers Harriman.
- "$500,000 DONATION LAUNCHES MASSACHUSETTS 9/11 FUND. Stop & Shop and Greenberg Traurig LLP Launch Fund Supported by Victims’ Families," GTLaw.org, January 2002.
- Yahoo! Search results, December 20, 2005.
- "Alberto J. Mora, General Counsel of the Department of the Navy, "the 20th General Counsel of the Department of the Navy, was sworn into office on July 25, 2001."
7. Firm works with 9-11 victims on planning out their U.S. gov't hushmail/bribery estates.
- "As The Revolving Door Turns. How does Washington work these days? A telling tale of two Capitol Hill staffers," Business Week, July 11, 2005: "On the Hill, both Rudy and Shiffman were involved in issues that were creating a new and lucrative lobbying niche for Greenberg Traurig and others: claims brought by victims of war, terror, and torture against foreign governments and companies. In these cases, U.S. cooperation was key, either in pressing the POWs' case against Japanese companies or in unblocking foreign assets frozen by the U.S. Treasury."
8. Firm partner is Marvin S. Rosen, Democratic National Committee (DNC) Finance Chairman who supervised activities of convicted fund-raiser and DNC vice-chairman of finance John Huang who had to return half of $3 million+ raised by him because of contributions from illegal foreign sources.
- Profile: Marvin S. Rosen, GTLaw.com website.
9. Bush still owes Greenberg firm nearly one million dollars for work done by dozens of lawyers and paralegals--leaving some to question why a Republican candidate would hire a Democratic lawyer from a Democratic firm ...
Source: Portland Indymedia, September 2004.
Someone Who Knows What They Are Doing Might Look into This
Hi, I have no idea how to contribute to this article, but i just came across some information that may be important and so i need to leave it up to people who are familar with this great project to look into it and decide if it relevant.
Would the fact that Greenberg Traurig is a lobbiest for Diebold be pertinent to the fact that they also represented Bush in the Recount? I would also seem they have spent a bit of money on Diebolds behalf with NY. Here is a link from a forum on Blackboxvoting that brought up a very interesting site and even more interesting information: http://www.nyc.gov/lobbyistsearch/search?client=Diebold+Election+Systems%2C+Inc