Terry Michael, who describes himself as a small "l" libertarian Democrat, is the executive director of the non-partisan, non-ideological Washington Center for Politics & Journalism (WCPJ), which he founded in December 1988, and which teaches college journalists about politics.
Michael "was a press spokesman for the lIlinois House Democrats from 1973-74; for the late Sen. Paul Simon, during Simon's first five years in the U.S. House; for the late Cong. Bob Matsui, from 1981-83; and for the Democratic National Committee, where he worked from 1983-87. He ended his career as a political operative in 1988, serving as communications director for Simon's campaign for the Democratic presidential nomination. He was founder, in 1977, and first president of the Assn. of House Democratic Press Assistants." He writes personal opinion at his "thoughts from a libertarian Democrat" blog (www.terrymichael.net), and has contributed political thought and analysis to ABCNews.com, The Washington Times, Politico/Politico.com, Reason magazine, The Examiner/Washington, TPM Cafe, and RealClearPolitics.com.
Resources and articles
Articles by Terry Michael
- "Identity politics as therapy. Gay Democrats upset by Howard Dean’s retooling of the DNC should remember to focus on election wins," Washington Blade, February 17, 2006.
- "Where did all the gay bars go? D.C. needs smart gay entrepreneurs to help rebuild a quality nightlife decimated by the stadium, smoking ban," Washington Blade, April 12, 2006.
- "GOP faces an ideological meltdown. The religious right is out of step with most voters and on its way out the door of American politics," Washington Blade, November 17, 2006.
- "Dog Ate Gov. Vilsack's Homework," RealClearPolitics, February 24, 2007.
- "Romney's appeal makes him politically seductive," The Politico (Deseret News), February 25, 2007.
- "Where Are The Democrats? When it comes to Iraq, the opposition party is afraid to oppose," Reason Online, March 2007.
- "Where's the outrage over Pace's prejudice?" TPM Cafe Blog, March 19, 2007.
- Editorial: "Presidential hopefuls," The Washington Times, July 19, 2007.
- "John Edwards: Trial Lawyer to the Underclass," RealClearPolitics, July 25, 2007.
- "Clinton won battle; Obama will win war," The Politico, July 31, 2007.
Articles about Terry Michael
- Justin Raimondo, "Iraq: The Democrats Are Just As Bad. If not worse than the Republicans," Antiwar.com, August 26, 2005.
- Bill Winter, "Terry Michael - Libertarian," The Advocates for Self-Government, undated.