Jump to navigation Jump to search
Business and Human Rights is not an oxymoron
- Ulf Karlberg is a trustee of the Business & Human Rights Resource Centre; he is Chair of our US-based non-profit and Co-chair of our UK-based charity.
- Ulf was founding Chair of the Amnesty International Swedish Section Business Group, and continues to serve as an active board member of that Group. The Amnesty Sweden Business Group works to promote respect of human rights internationally by the business community, and does so through its approaches to companies, government officials, trade unions and non-governmental organisations. Under Ulf's leadership, the Amnesty Sweden Business Group published a special Swedish edition of the book Human Rights: Is it any of your business?, with case studies from major Swedish multinationals. (The initial management primer was published by Amnesty UK Section and International Business Leaders Forum.)
- He is an international business executive who has been a member of Amnesty International since his days as a student in the early 1970s.
- From 1989 to 2000 Ulf was a senior executive with Astra Pharmaceuticals (now AstraZeneca). As Executive Vice President he was responsible for Astra's companies in Japan, China, Hong Kong, Korea, Taiwan, Indonesia, Malaysia, Philippines, Singapore, Thailand, Vietnam, Canada, Argentina, Brazil, Chile and Mexico.
- Previously he had worked at PA International Consulting Group; as their Chief Executive for Western Europe (1984-89), and as a management consultant and Managing Director of their Sweden office (1973-84).
- Ulf was educated in Sweden at the University of Lund and University of Gothenburg, where he received his business degree.
- — Business and Human Rights
- "Bios of trustees / board members", Business & Human Rights Resource Centre, accessed May 2005.