University of Minnesota Crookston Heating Plant
The University of Minnesota Crookston Heating Plant burns coal to create steam to heat water for the campus. The first heating plant was established in 1913, and the coal storage building was added in 1974. 
- "Heating Plant", University of Minnesota Crookston Website, accessed December 2009
Related SourceWatch articles
- Campus coal plants
- Existing U.S. Coal Plants
- Opposition to existing coal plants
- Coal and jobs
- Coal-fired power plant capacity and generation
- Coal phase-out
- Coal plant conversion projects
- Coal plants near residential areas
- Anne C. Mulkern, "Colleges Are Battlegrounds for Coal Fight," Greenwire, October 14, 2009.
- Campuses Beyond Coal Campaign, Sierra Club, September 2009.
- "DOE Announces Winners of Annual University Coal Research Grants," July 7, 2005.
- American College & University Presidents Climate Commitment