Vets for Freedom/external articles through 2006
Jump to navigation Jump to search
|This article is part of the SourceWatch coverage of Vets for Freedom (VFF) and|
Vets for Freedom Action Fund (VFF-AF).
- Graphic showing relationships between Vets for Freedom, Swift Boat Veterans for Truth, and their Republican connections by Simon Woodside, SimonWoodside.com Blog, 2006. (1-page pdf) Chart is cross-posted at Daily Kos.
- Vets for Freedom, Political Friendster.
- VETS FOR FREEDOM INC, Tax Exempt/NonProfit Organization Information, TaxExemptWorld.com.
- Vets For Freedom Action Fund in the Wikipedia.
- Owen West and Phillip Carter, "Iraq 2004 Looks Like Vietnam 1966. Adjusting body counts for medical and military changes," Slate, December 27, 2004.
- Paul, "Back to the (Adjusted) Future," Power Line Blog, December 28, 2004.
- Paul, "Distortions on top of contortions," Power Line Blog, December 30, 2004.
- Paula Zahn, Transcript: Paula Zahn Now, CNN, January 26, 2005.
- Julie Kosterlitz, "Lobbying & Law - Veterans of Political Wars," National Journal, 2006.
- Michelle Malkin, "Video: A Veteran Tells off Murtha/Moran," MichelleMalkin.com, January 7, 2006.
- "Murtha's Military Record is being attacked!!!" Veterans for Common Sense, January 14, 2006.
- Jim Kouri, "Young Marine blasts Rep. Murtha at town hall meeting," Enter Stage Right, January 16, 2006.
- Tom Regan, "Poll: Troops signal desire to come home. Survey of US troops finds that 72 percent want to withdraw within a year," Christian Science Monitor, March 1, 2006.
- Wade Zirkle, "Self-fulfilling prophecies do not equal national interests," Townhall.com, March 19, 2006. Link inactive July 11, 2006.
- Mark Alexander, "Operation Iraqi Freedom -- Just the facts, please...," The Collegiate Patriot ("The Conservative E-Journal of Record"), March 24, 2006.
- Wade Zirkle, "Act locally, think globally. Iraq in perspective, three years later," Townhall.com, April 2, 2006. Link inactive July 11, 2006.
- Wade Zirkle, "Troops in Support Of the War," Washington Post, April 13, 2006.
- Mike Boyer, "The troops support the war. Says who?" Foreign Policy Blog, April 13, 2006.
- Heidi Collins, Transcript: The Situation Room, CNN, April 13, 2006. Includes interview with Wade Zirkle.
- Drew Brown, "White House rebuffs generals' calls for Rumsfeld to resign," Knight Ridder Newspapers, April 13, 2006: "Wade Zirkle, the executive director of Vets for Freedom, a recently formed group of Afghanistan and Iraq war veterans, said the controversy could have a corrosive effect on morale in the ranks if it continued. ... 'I think the bottom line is that the troops on the ground want to win the war, and they want someone who is going to lead them to success,' said Zirkle, a former Marine officer who served two deployments in Iraq and was awarded a Purple Heart."
- "Wash. Post op-ed page hosted disingenuous attack on Reps. Moran and Murtha," Media Matters for America, April 13, 2006.
- Jeff, "A Veteran Speaks," State of the Day Blogspot, April 13, 2006.
- Top Dog, "'Vets For Freedom' Announces Leadership Team," American Daughter, April 13, 2006.
- Julie Ponzi, "Steyn on Iran and Europe/Vets for Freedom," No Left Turns, the Ashcroft Center for Public Affairs blog, April 14, 2006.
- Tony Harris, Transcript: "Live from ....," CNN, April 17, 2006. Interview with Wade Zirkle and Rob Timmins, re "Row Over Rumsfeld". Zirkle: "The war is going very well. ... We have -- we're fighting a very tough insurgency. And we certainly have our challenges ahead. ... However, the strides that we have made in the last three years are remarkable. And I think it's important to remember that, remember the -- remember the successes of what we're doing over there, and not nitpick over every single mistake. ... This is a huge national security issue. And we need to look forward. Where do we go from here? What do we need to -- need to do to -- to succeed."
- Kate Kaye, "A One Stop Shop to Reach Conservatives," ClickZ News, April 18, 2006.
- Wade Zirkle, Commentary: "When media pull back, coverage is a casualty," Philadelphia Inquirer, May 12, 2006.
- Wade Zirkle, "Celebrating those who chase evil, give safe harbor to liberty," Contra Costa Times, May 27, 2006; Townhall.com, May 26, 2006 (Townhall.com link inactive July 11, 2006).
- Editorial: "Q&A: David Bellavia on veterans," The Buffalo News, May 28, 2006.
- Owen West, Opinion: "The Troops Have Moved On," New York Times (International Herald Tribune), May 28, 2006.
- Pierre Tristam, "Memorial Daze, I. The Wrong Way to Support the Troops," Candide's Notebooks, May 29, 2006.
- Rep. John P. Murtha, "It's Not the Questioning of Bush's Policy in Iraq That Brings Down Morale," The Huffington Post, May 29, 2006.
- Stephen Kaus, "Lemmings," The Huffington Post, May 29, 2006.
- Wade Zirkle, "Honoring Our Troops," FrontPageMag.com, May 29, 2006.
- Hatched by Sachi, "A Warrior's Perspective," Big Lizards Blog, May 30, 2006.
- Opinion: "The Steady Horror That Is Iraq (6 Letters)," New York Times, May 31, 2006.
- Captain Kevin K. Nunnally, "The Fight for Freedom in Iraq," Per Contra Magazine, Summer 2006.
- Wade Zirkle, "On the Frontlines of Freedom. Today's military is the public face of the U.S. in many parts of the world," Ripon Forums/Ripon Society, June/July 2006.
- bmiller224, "'A supporting-the-soldiers' equals 'supporting Bush's war policies' argument," AOL Journals/OldHickorysWeblog, June 3, 2006.
- John Stauber, "Is Vets for Freedom A Republican Front Group?", PR Watch, June 7, 2006.
- Joe Burton, Letters: "No discredit to troops," News Observer (NC), June 10, 2006. "(The writer is a member of N.C. Peace Action.)"
- Beth C., "Army SSG David Bellavia, Medal of Honor nominee," My Vast Right Wing Conspiracy, June 13, 2006.
- "Greetings from Kuwait!" VFF Blog, June 15, 2006.
- David Bellavia, "A different perspective," VFF Blog, June 18, 2006.
- Kevin Ferris, philly.com/mld/inquirer/news/editorial/14842898.htm "Valiance outweighs abuse allegations," Philadelphia Inquirer, June 18, 2006.
- Beth C., "Vets for Freedom: Back to Iraq," My Vast Right Wing Conspiracy, June 19, 2006.
- Kevin Whalen, "Blackfive's Pundit Review: Someone You Should Know," Pundit Review, June 19, 2006.
- Jerry Zremski, "Former vets with GOP ties boost war effort in blogs," Buffalo News, June 25, 2006. Reposted on Veterans for America website, June 26, 2006.
- John Stauber, "Pro-War 'Vets for Freedom' Tied to Bush's PR Team," Center for Media and Democracy, June 25, 2006; BuzzFlash and Common Dreams, June 26, 2006; YubaNet, July 5, 2006.
- Cernig, "GOP Shills Offer Newspapers Free Reports From Iraq," NewsHog, June 26, 2006: "Expect to see their glowing tales of how clean the streets of Baghdad are in places like FrontPage, National Review Online and American Daily any day now."
- Mark, "Vets For Freedom: Fronts For GOP," News Corpse Blog, June 26, 2006.
- Amy Goodman, "Former Bush Spokesman Urges Newspapers to Run Pro-War Stories by Vets With GOP Ties; Interview with John Stauber," Democracy Now!, June 27, 2006: Amy Goodman: "We invited Vets for Freedom to the program, but the group's vice chairman, Owen West, said that no one could join us today."
- Justin Rood, "Is 'Non-Partisan' 'Vets for Freedom' a GOP Operation?" TPM Muckraker, June 27, 2006.
- mrs panstreppon's Blog, "Vets For Freedom: William Wade Denham Zirkle, Executive Director," TPM Cafe, June 27, 2006.
- "The Bush Admin. and the death of Blogging," LGF Watch, June 27, 2006.
- "Republicans Polluting the Press," Desert Beacon Blogspot, June 27, 2006.
- "Vets for Freedom," Capitol Hill Blue's Reader Rant, June 29, 2006.
- Pamela Drew, "News of Bush PR Operatives Behind Vets Site Begins 4th of July," pameladrew.newsvine.com, July 1, 2006. See comments.
- Bill Bennett, "Vets for Freedom," Talk Radio/Townhall.com, July 4, 2006.
- Mackubin Thomas Owens, "Pressing On. Our troops deserve better than a Vietnam-era press," National Review Online; Washington Times; CBS News, July 5, 2006.
- "Seven Questions: Covering Iraq," Foreign Policy, July 5, 2006 (July/August 2006 issue): Interview with Rod Nordland, Newsweek Baghdad bureau chief: "But the military has started censoring many [embedded reporting] arrangements. Before a journalist is allowed to go on an embed now, [the military] check[s] the work you have done previously. They want to know your slant on a story—they use the word slant—what you intend to write, and what you have written from embed trips before. If they don’t like what you have done before, they refuse to take you."
- Mark Noonan, "Vets for Freedom," Blogs for Bush, July 6, 2006: "They are a non-partisan group - and I know that some of your liberalis and lefties out there genuinely support the troops and what they are fighting for. So, lets all get together, all patriots of whatever political stripe, to support our magnificent servicemembers."
- Wade Zirkle and David Bellavia, Editorial: "In Ramadi, a test of Iraqi forces," Philadelphia Inquirer, July 6, 2006.
- Jack Kelly, "Two Iraq War veterans are providing some perspective," Irish Pennants, July 6, 2006.
- clammyc, "Ugh: embedded reporters pre-screened and censored by military," Daily Kos, July 6, 2006.
- John Stauber, "Kill The Messenger? Pro-War Advocates Should Blame Themselves for the Mess in Iraq," PR Watch, July 11, 2006.
- Allahpundit, "DCCC fundraising ad shows flag-draped coffins," Hot Air Blog, July 12, 2006: "If Vets for Freedom figured out a way to use the Tucker and Menchaca video to raise money to defeat the insurgency, I’d support them."
- Phil Orenstein, "Lobbying for Victory in the Iraq War," Democracy Project, July 22, 2007.
- Geoffrey Gray, "Not-So-Swift Vets. A group of veterans of the 'Global War on Terror' is speaking up. Do its GOP ties make it this year’s Swift Boat Veterans for Truth?" New York Magazine, July 24, 2006 (issue).
- David Bellavia, Owen West, and Wade Zirkle, "Birth of an Army. With the Iraqi forces in Ramadi," The Weekly Standard, July 24, 2006 (issue).
- "Let the dirty tricks begin! Vets for Freedom comes under scrutiny," New Internationalist, August 2006.
- Jim Hightower, "Another Front Group for George," JimHightower.com, August 9, 2006; The Austin Chronicle, August 11, 2006.
- Jeanne Cummings and Yochi J. Dreazen, "Iraq Woes Roil Political Debate, Complicate Management of War," Wall Street Journal, posted August 10, 2006.
- "VFF Loves GI Joe," Wall Street Journal (Center for Media and Democracy), August 10, 2006.
- Jake Tapper, "Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang," Political Punch/ABC News, August 10, 2006.
- Claudia Parsons, "New Iraq books paint dismal picture for Americans," Reuters (Washington Post), August 11, 2006; cross-posted as "'Dismal Iraq' Books Flood US Bookstores," at Islam Online. Includes same Zirkle quote and ref to Bing West.
- Mark, "Lieberman’s Support Grows - Amongst Republicans," News Corpse Blog, August 11, 2006.
- Wade Zirkle and Josh Clark, Editorial: "The View from the Chow Hall," Wall Street Journal, August 11, 2006. Subscription required. Copy of article posted on VFF-AF website.
- John Stauber, "'Vets for Freedom' Fight for Rove and Lieberman," PR Watch, August 11, 2006; Common Dreams, August 12, 2006; CounterPunch, August 12/13, 2006; OpEdNews, August 13, 2006.
- Jane Hamsher, "Karl Rove and Joe Lieberman: BFFs," The Huffington Post, August 12, 2006: "The GOP messaging on this has so far gone unanswered, even as right wing ghouls like Dan Senor are dispatched to take the place of Lieberman's lame Democratic consultants and commence the swiftboating of Lamont and those who could capitalize on his victory."
- Todd Haskins, "Swift Boat redux: Vets For Freedom," The Blue State, August 12, 2006.
- Judd Legum, "Kristol: Cheney’s Claim That Lamont Win Helps 'Al-Qaeda Types' Is 'Indisputably Correct'," Think Progress, August 13, 2006.
- VFF-AF Advertisement, Hartford Courant (CT), August 14, 2006 (as posted on VFF-AF website).
- Jon Lender, "'Vets For Freedom' Creates Stir. Group With GOP Ties Backs Lieberman; White House Declines To Endorse Schlesinger," Hartford Courtant (CT) (NedLamont.com), August 15, 2006.
- Brian Lockhart, "Iraq veterans group supports Lieberman," The Advocate (Stamford, CT), August 15, 2006.
- Pamela Leavey, "Group with Ties to SBVT, 'Vets For Freedom' Back Lieberman" and "About Those Lieberman Backers," The Democratic Daily, August 15, 2006.
- Dave Johnson, "Behind the Front: The Creation of Vets for Freedom," The Patriot Project, August 15, 2006; cross-posted at The Huffington Post.
- "News and notes from the campaign trail," Associated Press (Newsday), August 15, 2006; Boston Globe, August 16, 2006.
- Ari Berman, "Joe's GOP Allies," The Nation, August 15, 2006.
- Bobby McGee, "'Vets For Freedom' makes front page, smears Lamont," My Left Nutmeg, August 15, 2006.
- Dave Johnson, "Behind the Front: The Creation of Vets for Freedom," Seeing the Forest, August 16, 2007.
- Simon Woodside, "Some links between Republicans and Vets for Freedom," Simon Says Blog, August 16, 2006. See infographic cross-posted at The Daily Kos.
- Kathy Gill, "Strange Bedfellows in Connecticut," About.com (U.S. Politics), August 16, 2006.
- James Boyce, "Senator Lieberman: Why Would You Let A Republican 527 Attack Group Work For You?" The Huffington Post, August 16, 2006.
- Anne E. Kornblut, "Connecticut GOP Abandons GOP Candidate For Lieberman," New York Times (Free Internet Press), August 19, 2006.
- Jerry Zremski, "Pro-war veteran group endorses candidates," The Buffalo News (NY), August 20, 2006.
- "White House Week: 'Lieberman: Friends in Unexpected Places'," US News & World Report, August 20, 2006.
- William Greider, "Who's a Democrat?" The Nation, August 20, 2006.
- Toby Harnden, "Republicans back Democrats," The Telegraph (UK), August 20, 2006.
- William Greider, "The Democrats' Dilemma. The Nation: What Lieberman's 'Cross-Dressing' Means For The Party In November" posted by CBS News, August 21, 2006.
- Eringoblog.net, "I Want the Truth...," WNY Media Network (Buffalo, NY), August 21, 2006.
- Jonathan Darman, "Campaign 2006: A Hawk Stays Aloft. The politics of terror may just keep Joe Lieberman in office," Newsweek (MSNBC), August 21-28, 2006 (issue).
- Jerry Zremski, "Batavia veteran presses Bush to fight harder in Iraq," Buffalo News, August 27, 2006.
- luaptifer, "Sealed with a KISS: Strange Bedfellows, Joe Lieberman and the GOP," ePluribus Media, August 28, 2006. Cross-posted at Daily Kos by GreyHawk, luaptifer, wanderindiana, intranets and Avahome.
- Jim Hightower, "Welcome to Beautiful Baghdad," Whole Life Times, September 2006.
- "'Vets for Freedom' to run Lieberman ads," New York Times (The Raw Story), September 1, 2006.
- Jennifer Medina, "War Veterans Lend Support to Lieberman in TV Ads," New York Times, September 2, 2006.
- Arianna Huffington, "A Lesson in Leadership and Fearlessness from Max Cleland," The Huffington Post, September 4, 2006.
- Andrew Miga, "Veterans Group Backing Lieberman," Associated Press (Washington Post); also posted at ABC News, September 5, 2006.
- "Lieberman starts door-to-door effort, retools Web site," Associated Press (The Advocate (Stamford, CT)), September 5, 2006.
- Jim Hightower, Opinion: "President has new veterans front-group helping him out," Sidney Herald, September 6, 2006.
- Mark Pazniokas, "Vets' Ad For Lieberman Called 'Swift-Boating'," Hartford Courant (CT) (Free Republic), September 7, 2006.
- Don Michak, "Lamont-backing vets blast ads for Lieberman," Journal Inquirer (CT), September 7, 2006.
- "In ad, vets thank Lieberman for backing war. Vets for Freedom spends $60,000 on ads for senator's re-election campaign," Associated Press (The Michigan Daily), September 7, 2006; Andrew Miga, in the Guardian Unlimited (UK), September 8, 2006.
- James C. Roberts, "Remember Our Unsung Heroes," Human Events Online, September 11, 2006.
- Taylor Marsh, "Swiftboating: A New Low in Dirty Politics. John Kerry, John Murtha and Markos Moulitsas Zuniga have all been targeted by Republican-funded smear campaigns. As the fall election cycle revs up, who will be swiftboated next?" AlterNet, September 12, 2006.
- Kevin Combest, "Conservative Spotlight: Vets for Freedom," Human Events Online, September 19, 2006.
- Aaron Glantz, "I'm a Veteran, and I Support/Despise This War," Inter Press Service, September 26, 2006.
- "ThankYou Congressman Marshall," full-page ad in Macon Telegraph supporting "embattled" Democrat Jim Marshall, September 28, 2006.
- Wade Zirkle, freeSpeech: "Former Marine Speaks About Staying The Course In Iraq," CBS Evening News, October 10, 2006. Video link and Zirkle bio on page.
- Mark Raven, "The Galloping Ghostwriter, Dan Senor," TPM Cafe, October 10, 2006.
- Dave Johnson, "CBS News Provides Free Airtime To Vets For Freedom Action Fund - A Campaign Organization," The Patriot Project/The Huffington Post, October 16, 2006.
- "Iraq withdrawal to be put to voters in several states," Associated Press (New York Times/International Herald Tribune), October 25, 2006 (Newsday, October 26, 2006): "Wade Zerkle, executive director of Vets for Freedom, said the referendums are a publicity stunt, and the outcome will not represent the majority: 'I don't think a ballot referendum in some of the most liberal cities in America is going to hold much water.'"
- Claire M. Guehenno, "Local Vote Set On Iraq Pullout. Non-binding proposal for immediate Iraq withdrawal is on Cambridge ballot," The Harvard Crimson, October 31, 2006: Zirkle said "said that the ballot initiative is not representative of the mainstream U.S. public opinion but of the 'fringes of American politics.' ... But Robert Winters, a political observer and editor of the Cambridge Civic Journal, said that he was confident that most Massachusetts voters would agree with the proposal. ... 'There are some who are opposed to the war who may question just outright withdrawal as the right way to handle it including our elected officials,' Winters said. 'But, I think most people will say 'yeah, get the hell out'.'"
- Aaron Glantz, "Iraq Vets Target Congressional Races," OneWorld US (truthout), November 2, 2006.
- "Ninth Annual Conference and Awards Banquet," American Veterans Center, November 8, 2006. Scroll down to page 7: Wade Zirkle moderated and VFFAF members David Bellavia and Chris Niedziocha participated in event "A New Generation of Valor".
- Geoffrey Gray, "Swift-Boat Revenge. How one New Yorker beat Republicans at the attack-ad game," New York Magazine, November 20, 2006. re VoteVets.org
- Sheldon Rampton, "Falsies on Parade: The Worst Spinners of 2006," PRWatch, December 18, 2006.