Professor Vishnu Padayachee "is Senior Professor and Head of School in the School of Development Studies at the University of KwaZulu-Natal.
"He has a PhD from the University of Natal in Economics and Economic History. He has authored or edited seven books, written 30 chapters in books and published 60 articles in accredited academic journals including, among the major international ones, World Development, The Journal of International Development, Metroeconomica, The International Review of Applied Economics, The Cambridge Journal of Economics, Revue Tiers Monde, The South African Journal of Economics and Comparative Studies in Society and History. His research covers a variety of disciplinary fields, including Macroeconomic Policy; Finance, Banking and Monetary Policy; and the Politics of Race and Sport. His latest books (2002) include “(D) urban Vortex” (with Bill Freund); “Blacks in Whites: A Century of Cricket Struggles in KwaZulu-Natal” (with Ashwin Desai, Krish Reddy and Goolam Vahed); and “The Development Decade? economic and social change in South Africa, 1994-2004”. His edited book on "The Political Economy of Africa" will be published by Routledge (London) in 2010. He serves on the editorial boards of World Development, Transformation, The Journal of Contemporary African Studies." 
- Associate Editor and then Editor of the (Sapse-accredited) journal Transformation: Critical Perspectives on Southern Africa, January 1987-December 1998. Corresponding editor since 1998.
- Member of the Editorial Advisory Board of World Development, January 2001 to date.
- Member of the Editorial Board of the (Sapse-accredited) Journal of Contemporary African Studies, November 1991-to date.
- The Political Economy of Africa [editor] Routledge, UK. London (In Press and forthcoming March 2010)
- Padayachee, V. and Rossouw, J. (2009) Inflation accuracy during periods of subdued and accelerating inflation: comparing the South African experiences of 2004 to 2006 and 2006 to 2008. Pretoria: South African Reserve Bank, 2009. SARB Discussion Paper DP/09/01.
- Padayachee, V.(ed.) (2006) The Development Decade? Economic and Social Change in South Africa, 1994-2004. Pretoria: HSRC Press. 484p
Selected Work History 
- Research Fellow, Institute for Social and Economic Research, University of Durban-Westville, 1 July 1984 - 31 December 1990.
- Visiting Professor, Department of African Studies, The Paul H Nitze School of Advanced International Studies, The Johns Hopkins University, Washington DC, 1 January 1986 - 30 June 1986.
- Interim Director, Centre for Civil Society, University of Natal, 1 January to 30 September 2004
- Consultant (part-time) to the Board of Directors of the South African Reserve Bank, 1 February-31 August 2009.
"Recipient of research, supervision and travelling grants from, among others, the Ford Foundation, United States-South Africa Leadership Exchange Programme, the Anglo-de Beers Chairman’s Fund, the British Council, The Charles Mott Foundation, The Centre for Science Development (now the National Research Foundation), the Canon Collins Educational Trust for Southern Africa, The World Bank, The Human Science Research Council, The University of Durban-Westville Research Fund, and The University of Natal Research Fund, Durban."