White Student Unions
White Student Unions, according to their Facebook ages, are organizations on American university campuses created in opposition to Black Lives Matter. However, according to one source, they are actually fake and created by white supremacists.
White Supremacist Call to Create White Student Unions
Andrew Anglin, publisher of the white supremacist site, the Daily Stormer, wrote a blog post entitled "Illinois: White Student Union Formed Against BLM Denounced as Offensive, Hateful" on his site on November 21, 2015. In it, he described how a University of Illinois white student union Facebook page was created and taken down soon thereafter. The page was since revived. Anglin wrote to his follows:
- "So, guys. Here’s the plan:
- "Make more of these White Student Union pages on Facebook for various universities. You don’t have to go there. Make one for Dartmouth, Princeton, etc.
- "Go, do it now. If they won’t let it on Facebook, put it on tumblr or wordpress or whatever. Get it up, then forward links to the local media.
- "Just fill it up with pro-White memes and “we’ve had enough of these people” rhetoric.
- "Extra points if you actually go to the school."
As White Student Unions form, they are creating mission statements and posting them to Facebook. The WSU's from University of California-Los Angeles (UCLA) and University of California-Berkeley note on their pages that they are influenced by one another. Berkeley's group posted the following mission statement on the day the group created its Facebook page, November 21, 2015:
- "We welcome students of European descent (and allies) to follow and contribute to the UC Berkeley White Student Union. We were inspired by the new White Student Union at UCLA and hope that our initiative will move our brothers and sisters across the country to do the same.
- "European-American students on college campuses face unique and immediate challenges that are ignored or even actively denied in today's cultural climate.
- "We unapologetically provide a safe space for white students to air their true feelings about the future of our nation, discuss and reflect on the lessons laid down for us by our great European writers, philosophers, and artists, and develop a positive program to restore the pioneering will and greatness of our unique and virtuous people.
- "We affirm the dignity and ancestry of our proud people who have gifted the world with countless works of beauty, science, and wisdom, and are committed to promoting a dialogue and political resistance that will secure a future for our posterity and spirit.
- "At the same time, we do not wish to denigrate or harm any other group or ethnicity.
- "We condemn the cowardly campaigns of moral subjugation and propaganda that seek to instill self-hatred and surrender within European-American youth and justify the continued invasion and degradation of the lands, institutions, and cultural heritage that are rightly ours.
- "We seek to honor our past while promoting a positive, peaceful vision of the future; one in which every ethnic group has the right to organize and represent themselves and their interests."
UCLA posted an almost identical mission statement on the same day, referencing Berkeley as an influence. UCLA in turn inspired Penn State's White Student Union to craft and post a nearly identical mission statement on its Facebook page, also on November 21, 2015.
Articles and resources
Related SourceWatch articles
- Justin Moyer, "'White Student Union' challenges Black Lives Matter at University of Illinois," Chicago Tribune, November 20, 2015, Accessed November 22, 2015.
- Racists probably started a white student union at your school. They’re all fake.," Medium.com, November 23, 2015, Accessed November 23, 2015.
- Michael Wines and Stephanie Saul, "White Supremacists Extend Their Reach Through Websites," New York Times, July 5, 2015, Accessed November 23, 2015.
- Andrew Anglin, "Illinois: White Student Union Formed Against BLM Denounced as Offensive, Hateful," Daily Stormer, November 21, 2015, accessed November 23, 2015.
- UC Berkeley White Student Union, Facebook, November 21, 2015, Accessed November 22, 2015.
- UCLA White Student Union, Facebook, November 21, 2015, Accessed November 22, 2015.
- Penn State University White Student Union, Facebook, Accessed November 22, 2015.
- Matthew Rozsa, "5 reasons why 'white pride' is always racist," Daily Dot, January 6, 2015.
- Michael Wines and Stephanie Saul, "White Supremacists Extend Their Reach Through Websites," New York Times, July 5, 2015.
- Adrienne Shih, "Campus White Student Union page created on Facebook," Daily Cal, November 21, 2015.