Whole Grains Council
The Whole Grains Council is a processed-food trade association that promotes the creation of whole grain breads, cereals, cookies and crackers.
According to its website, the Whole Grains Council seeks to:
- "To clarify the definition of “whole grain,” document the health benefits of whole grains, and advocate additional whole-grain health research.
- To educate consumers about the benefits of whole grains
- To help Americans find whole grains, with a packaging symbol, and educate them on cooking whole grains
- To promote whole grains through a positive message about their benefits, rather than by criticizing refined grains.
- To serve as a conduit between science, industry and consumers.
- To help grain-product companies, retailers and restaurants meet the needs of health-conscious consumers with appealing whole grain products."
The Whole Grains Council has also created a self-defined "stamp" of approval for processors that meet their whole grain standards. Members include General Mills, Frito Lay, Mars Foods, Quaker Oats, and Whole Foods Market.
- Chairman: Bob Brown, Frito-Lay
- Past Chair: Jeff Dahlberg, National Sorghum Producers
- Vice Chair: Michael Bittel, King Arthur Flour
- Secretary-Treasurer: K. Dun Gifford, Oldways
- Director: Linh Bui, Masterfoods USA
- Director: Sara Baer-Sinnott, Oldways
- Director: Mike Holleman, Indian Harvest Specialtifoods
- Director: Karen Wilder, Schwan Foods
The Whole Grains Council
266 Beacon Street
Boston, MA 02116
Articles and resources
Related SourceWatch articles
- Whole Grains Council, "About Us", Whole Grains Council website, accessed October 2008.