Wolfgang Thüne was born on March 4, 1943 in Rastenburg (Germany). He studied from 1962 to 1967 at the University of Cologne (Köln) and the University of Berlin and graduated as meteorologist. Then from 1967 to 1974 he worked at the weather service in Frankfurt and he was a television weather forecaster for German TV-channel ZDF from 1971 to 1986. From 1981 to 1986 he studied Sociology, Political Science, and Geography at the University of Würzburg. With this second study he earned a "Dr. Phil." degree ("Doktor der Philosophie", equal to a "Ph.D."). The next four years Wolfgang Thüne represented the 'Konrad Adenauer Foundation' in Brasil. Since 1990 he works at the Ministry of Environment in Rhineland-Palatinate (Rheinland-Pfalz).
Wolfgang Thüne is sceptic about global warming and the greenhouse effect as can be read in his books "Der Treibhaus Schwindel" (The Greenhouse Swindle) and "Freispruch für CO2" (Acquittal for CO2). He was one of the keynote speakers at the conference in Leipzig in 1995 organized by the European Academy for Environmental Affairs and the Science and Environmental Policy Project (SEPP) which resulted in the Leipzig Declaration on Global Climate Change. He is special among skeptics in that he denies that even natural greenhouse effect exists.
- W. Thüne, F. Singer, F. Seitz, Helmut Metzner, "Treibhaus-Kontroverse und Ozon-Problem : Symposium der Europäischen Akademie für Umweltfragen Leipzig 9.-10. November 1995", Böttiger, 1996, ISBN 3925725296 
- Wolfgang Thüne, "Der Treibhaus Schwindel : Klimaforschung als ideologisches Vehikel", Discovery Press, March 1997, ISBN 3980376869 
- Wolfgang Thüne, preface by Gerhard Gerlich, "Freispruch - für CO2! Wie ein Molekül die Phantasien von Experten gleichschaltet", Steinherz, Geoffrey, April 2002, ISBN 3980737810
Articles and resources
Related SourceWatch articles
- "Wolfgang Thüne: Zur Person des Autors," (German page)
- Axel Michaelowa, "Book Review: Acquittal for CO2 (Freispruch für CO2)," International Review for Environmental Strategies, 2002
- Oswald Nettesheim, "Climatology-Science or Ideology?," The Revisionist, 2003