Workforce Freedom Initiative
The Workforce Freedom Initiative (WFI) is a project of the U.S. Chamber of Commerce focused on fighting union organizing in the workplace. WFI's website describes its goals as "to preserve democracy in the American workplace, restrain abusive union pension fund activism, and block the anti-competitive agenda advocated by many labor unions."
WFI tracks the activities and decisions of the National Labor Relations Board (NLRB) as well as union organizing efforts and union strategies. For example, in 2013 it issued reports on "The Emerging Role of Worker Centers in Union Organizing," "A Survey of Social Media Issues Before the NLRB," and on unions' involvement in minimum wage campaigns.
Ties to the Koch Brothers
Issues, News, and Controversies
As of September 2014:
- Lisa Rickard, President, Workforce Freedom Initiative; President, U.S. Chamber Institute for Legal Reform; Executive Vice President, U.S. Chamber of Commerce. Rickard has also worked for Dow Chemical and Ryder System, Inc., serves on the board of the Carlton Club, and is a member of the Business Government Relations Council and the International Women’s Forum.
- Glenn Spencer, Executive Director. Spencer served as Acting Chief of Staff to Elaine Chao, Secretary of Labor under President George W. Bush. He also worked as a lobbyist for FreedomWorks from 2000-2001.
- Ted Phlegar, Senior Counsel
- Justin Hakes, External Affairs Manager
- Brandon Fisher, Research Associate
Address: Workforce Freedom Initiative
U.S. Chamber of Commerce
1615 H Street NW
Washington, DC 20062
- Workforce Freedom Initiative, About, organizational website, accessed September 3, 2014.
- Workforce Freedom Initiative, Publications and Polls, organizational website, accessed January 22, 2015.
- Philip Newswanger, "Chamber to counter pro-labor strategies," Hampton Roads Business Journal, June 10, 2011. Accessed September 3, 2014.
- U.S. Chamber of Commerce, About Workforce Freedom Initiative, organizational website, accessed September 3, 2014.
- U.S. Chamber of Commerce, Lisa Rickard, biographical profile, accessed September 3, 2014.
- Open Secrets, Glenn Spencer], lobbyist profile, Center for Responsive Politics, accessed September 24, 2014.